LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I count digital pulses and convert them to an x-axis unit?

I am a grad student in Chemistry and I have undertaken a project to switch an old spectroscopic instrument from a stepper motor chart recorder to a digital interface. 

I am using Labview 7.1.

I just measured the signals coming from the instrument, so I know exactly what I am working with.

I have one constant, 100mV, digital pulse--which was used to drive the stepper motor a set # of wavenumbers for a given amount of pulse. I need to convert this signal to correlate with wavenumbers--on the x-axis of my final waveform graph.

The other signal is an analog signal, up to 250 mV, which is coming from a photomultiplier tube and represents my y-axis of my final waveform graph.

I am using the NI BNC-2110 DAQ board. 

Should I design the program based from just the AI Aquire Waveform.vi? Add a Count Events or Time vi. for the digital pulse?

Could anyone give me some hints with my initial setup/layout? 

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(2,469 Views)

Hints:

Figure out what is the modle number of your DAQ device. I think the model you cited is just a break-out box.

Depending on your hardware you may be able to use the step pulses to clock your A/D conversions.

The number of sample will be the number of steps so all you need is a conversion factor to convert sample count totoal to wavelength.

Others may offer better ideas so stand by.

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(2,465 Views)

Thanks Ben.

Yes, I did give you the break out box model #. My DAQ # is PCI-6251.

I was also wrong about the signals.

Both signals are analog.

The x-axis signal give used to incrementally move the stepper motor in the old chart recorder by pulsing at every time x.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(2,447 Views)