From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I control a digital output on NI9144 FPGA with fpga code running on NI9082.

Due to a recent change in our hardware configuration I need to locate my various I/O modules in various locations around the facility. I am attempting to use an etherCAT setup consisting of an NI9082 and multiple NI9144 (for now only one NI9144). I need both devices to run code in the respective FPGA and make the results available to the other devices and for user interface software. My question is is it possible for the two FPGA code segments to communicate directly with each other without going through the RT or computer interfaces. I need to fire a digital output bit on the NI9144 based on logic running on the NI9082.

Are there any good code examples around that someone can point me to?

Thanks for the help.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(2,050 Views)

Hi, you can include trigger conditions (digital, or analog) on your FPGA VI and connect directly the I/O from module to module (analog with analog & digital with digital), however, if the chassis are meant to be at different locations the cable used to connect the ports is equals the length in between each device and that could degrade the signal if we are taking about a couple meters or kilometers. The most reasonable way to send/receive data from great distances is through ethernet using a regular communication protocol (such as TCP/IP, network streams, network shared variables...etc).

Alejandro C. | National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(2,031 Views)