From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I Install LabVIEW on Windows 8 without destroying my Start screen?

I recently upgrdaded my computer and am running Windows 8 now.  I know lots of people will tell me that this was a terrible idea, but it is what it is.  I am actually liking the new start screen once I spent some time getting used to it.  It works well once you customize it to your needs.  Anyway, the problem that I am having, is that when you install NI software (LabVIEW, TestStand, Toolkits, and drivers), about 100 things are added to your start screen.  See "Screenshot 1.png" to see what I am talking about.  

My immediate fix was to edit the start menu folder and put everything that I don't need in folder in "My Documents" - called "National Instruments Shortcuts".  Then I just put a shortcut to this folder in my start menu directory.  This gives me the result shown in "Screenshot 2.png".  But my worry is that when NI sends you an update every 6 months and you install, it is going to put everything back.  

I am guessing that I am at the mercy of NI to become more Windows 8 friendly.  But maybe somebody here has a better idea?  

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(2,831 Views)

This is a real windows 8 problem. I think windows 8.1 improves this behavior to some extend, see point 8 here.

Also, have a look at the NI Laucher that allows you to browse the NI shortcuts in the more traditional way.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(2,806 Views)

Thanks Altenbach.  I am noticing it is more of a Windows problem than anything.  It turns out that it does the same with just about any software that I install.  It's unfortunate that we let software companies put the blame on Windows though.  If a LabVIEW bug is exposed to my customers, I can't just blame it on NI - I have to implement some sort of workaround to hide the bug from my customers so that they don't know its there.  I wish all software companies would hide Windows bugs and issues 🙂  But that might be asking a lot.  Ha!

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(2,712 Views)

@ScottTron wrote:

If a LabVIEW bug is exposed to my customers, I can't just blame it on NI - I have to implement some sort of workaround to hide the bug from my customers so that they don't know its there. 

For me that depends on many factors, like the severity of the issue and the relationship with the customer.  Plenty of times I do inform the customer of a LabVIEW bug.  If DAQmx craps out after running for a long time (and NI agrees) I'll do what I can to avoid it, but having a customer think it is my fault when it isn't, is no solution.

Back to the original post I'd highly recommend what others probably already have and that's Classic Shell.  I combine this with DisplayFusion and my Windows 8.1 box works just like Windows 7.  I've only ever seen the new start once, and that was right after the install, right before installing those two tools.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(2,691 Views)