From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How close can I come to Realtime with Labview student edition and an Arduino project?

Hey everyone,

I'm really new to Labview and just recieved the Labview 2012 student edition and I plan to do a project. It came to my concern that after asking the Labview interface for arduino forums, they suggested that it cannot provide realtime.My project in generalwill consist of two arduinos, one with many sensors close to 30 and the second will have many actuators. My question is whether I can come to develop a realtime crucial system or fast processing speeds. Please provide any input.Your time and responses are much appreciated.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(2,274 Views)

The code running on the arduinos should be considered real-time.  But the LabVIEW code running on Windows will not be realtime.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(2,267 Views)

Thanks for replying, but if I may ask, are you implying that when the arduino is programmed it will run in realtime, however when labview interfaces with it isn't. Then if so would you suggest I just program the arduino and then monitor the system using Labview as my GUI.Lastly say I had the two arduinos already programmed with sensors and actuators and they communicate independently without labview, would labview impede on this time critical system.

Thanks A Lot

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(2,260 Views)

@MustafaMX5 wrote:

Thanks for replying, but if I may ask, are you implying that when the arduino is programmed it will run in realtime, however when labview interfaces with it isn't. Then if so would you suggest I just program the arduino and then monitor the system using Labview as my GUI.Lastly say I had the two arduinos already programmed with sensors and actuators and they communicate independently without labview, would labview impede on this time critical system.

Thanks A Lot

Anything on a Windows machine is not real-time.  The micro on the arduino is.  You can still program in communications between the micro and LabVIEW and not impede on the real-time operation.  It will take some cycles away, but probably not enough to worry.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(2,226 Views)

Thanks for replying, so generally can I increase the processing speed or the communication between labview. Would this be a hardware upgrade or a software optimization. Thanks for the input.:manvery-happy:)

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(2,193 Views)