LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can we add empty folders in installers?

Hi All,

I need some help with with LV installers. I have built an built an installer for an application that I am using. But along with the application I would like to create an empty folder as well. I am creating this folder in the "Destinations" option in the installer properties, but when I build and install the application, that particular folder is not there. Am I missing something here? 

Also, I am new to this forum and not sure if this has been posted earlier. I apologize if it has been posted earlier.

Thank you!

Sparsh

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(2,603 Views)

I had this problem. You can create necessary folders when your application will  run in first time. You can use functions shown in picture

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(2,587 Views)

I simply put an empty "info.txt" file in that "empty folder" I want my installer to create and on the first run of my application I delete those file.

Simple, easy, probably. You could also have a batch that runs after the installer to create those folders.

We have two ears and one mouth so that we can listen twice as much as we speak.

Epictetus

Antoine Chalons

Message 3 of 6
(2,581 Views)

Thank you guys for your replies. 

Manushak, that could be a workaround, but there are instances in my requirement where that folder is accessed not only by this application, but by other applications as well. So if I installed this one and didn't run the application, the folder would not even be created which might not suit my requirement. Pls let me know if there is any other way??

TiTou, I am actually doing that presently, although I would typically like to avoid putting a file there as later I may be distributing this application. It might get others thinking as to why that file is actually present there. Smiley Happy I find that as a useful work around for now but are you aware of any other way by which we can get the empty folder? The batch file running also seems like a workaround. Others might miss running it in their PC's. 

Thank you very much again for your time and help.!

Thanks,

Sparsh

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(2,573 Views)

hi

i had recently built an installer and faced no issues in adding additiional folders.

but, i am not sure if you want to do the same as i did:

Under the Program files, i added new folders by clicking 'add destination' button below the tree selection.

in the source files section of the installer, i placed my EXE in the lowest folder of the hierarchy.

Eg: In the destinations page, i created: Program Files -> Application Name folder -> Additional Folder1, Additional Folder 2 -> under additional folder 2 -> EXE folder -> EXE.exe file

When i ran the installer i had all the folder strucutre inside the Program Files.

Regards
Freelance_LV
TestAutomation Consultant
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(2,567 Views)

You can configure your installer to run an executable after installation.

Create a small batch file or EXE that creates the empty folders.

http://zone.ni.com/reference/en-XX/help/371361B-01/lvdialog/adv_installer_settings_db/

Now is the right time to use %^<%Y-%m-%dT%H:%M:%S%3uZ>T
If you don't hate time zones, you're not a real programmer.

"You are what you don't automate"
Inplaceness is synonymous with insidiousness

Message 6 of 6
(2,560 Views)