LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I repair a Generic file I/O error on opening a vi?

Solved!
Go to solution

I tried to open a vi while the folder the vi is in was being coppied to a backup location. I got a Generic file I/O error, and the vi wouldn't load. After the copy process completed, I rebooted, and tried again to load the vi. It still failed, so I tried to load the backup file, and it also could not be loaded. Is there anything I can do to save this file? I recently put a lot of work into it, and the working backup I do have is before any of the new work took place.

Thanks

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 11
(11,497 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author SciManStev

Are you able to open the VI at all? If you can open it, try copying the block diagram into a new, blank VI. Most likely the VI has become corrupted and pasting into a blank VI and resaving can fix the corruption.

Unfortunately if LabVIEW closes upon trying to open the VI and you are unable to access the block diagram, then it has become corrupt. There is no way to recover the VI or to extract certain parts of the VI from the file. The only solution is to start with a blank VI and reprogram the corrupted VI again. You may consider running a file recovery scanner on your PC to see if there is any part of it that is recoverable. Though it seems you will have to use your backup version.

Jordan G

Message 2 of 11
(11,463 Views)

Thank you! I was afraid of that, but I had to try anyway.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 11
(11,454 Views)

Could you open the vi? I am facing similar situation and dont know what to do..

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 11
(10,224 Views)

The only thing I could do, was open a much older copy, and redo all the work. I lost quite a lot of time, but I learned to never try to open a vi while it was being coppied somewhere else. I regularly back up my vi's, and just sit idle until the copy is finished, or have the vi open before the copy starts and not try to save until it is finished. Another area to stay away from is trying to do something else when a vi is compiling for an executable. It is OK to do something else when an installer is created, but not when a vi is compiling.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 11
(10,218 Views)
I just restarted with an old one. Anyway learned a big lesson.
Thank you for your valuable time.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 11
(10,203 Views)

Hi together,

If got a big big issue with this problem and I don´t know how it could occur.

The biggest problem is, that i have no older copy of the program and it toke a lot of time to build it.

Is there another way to fix the problem with this error?

Thanks a lot

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 11
(9,561 Views)

Hi michael,

i have no older copy of the program and it toke a lot of time to build it.

So you have learned to create backups at regular intervals or even better use some SVN system?

The biggest problem is…

missing backups or SVN repositories!

Is there another way to fix the problem with this error?

When the VI file is broken you need to get a backup or check out from your SVN system!

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 11
(9,558 Views)

Just as small side note.  I had this same issue, and it turns out the issue was the filepath was too long.  As soon as I copied it to my C drive and opened it, there was no problem.

Maybe worth a try

Message 9 of 11
(7,684 Views)

@niallmartin10 wrote:

Just as small side note.  I had this same issue, and it turns out the issue was the filepath was too long.  As soon as I copied it to my C drive and opened it, there was no problem.

Maybe worth a try

These issues happen more often with LabVIEW because we often have a few nested folders and large file names as part of our self-documentation.  That, combined with a long server name and long path to your network folder can lead to trouble.  I'm not saying it's a LabVIEW problem, but sometimes an honest implementation of LabVIEW best practices can have unexpected ramifications.

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 11
(7,672 Views)