Nope, not quite sure, as it turns out. The data is there after all. I feel about as smart as my shoe right now. I needed to extend the size of the string element in order to see the data. I needed to extend it by more than a 1/2" for it to appear, but still.
When I thought about how the file read vi was working, I didn't understand why it wasn't being read in. But I didn't think that it was actually there and I just wasn't seeing it. (this seems to be a theme for this me at this point )
But I have it working now. It's much faster (33s vs 59s) and the memory hit is usable. I'm attaching the vi. There may be a better way to convert the string array to the double array at the end. I'd be interested in continuing to learn about that as well. I've certainly been learning a lot on this task.
Yes, that's what I suspected...that's why I made my string indicator as large as I did. I figured that if you ran the VI, there was a better-than-even chance you'd solve your problem by yourself. And sure enough...
I have LV2010 open right now, I'll open 2011 later and look at your VI.
My pleasure to help, and you are much, much smarter than your shoe. It's always a pleasure to help someone who genuinely wants to learn and is willing to put in some work to do so.