From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I read in a selected portion of a large ascii file (~200Mb)?

Solved!
Go to solution

Ah, are you quite sure?  I just created a small csv file, formatted it exactly the way you describe, and the following 1D string array came out:

header,header,

header,header,

etc.

Exactly like they're supposed to.

So let's back up.  Can you select a small portion of the data file you're trying to process and post it here?  You can use the attached VI to do so.

Message 21 of 25
(768 Views)

Nope, not quite sure, as it turns out.  The data is there after all.  I feel about as smart as my shoe right now.  Smiley Embarassed  I needed to extend the size of the string element in order to see the data.  I needed to extend it by more than a 1/2" for it to appear, but still.

When I thought about how the file read vi was working, I didn't understand why it wasn't being read in.  But I didn't think that it was actually there and I just wasn't seeing it.  (this seems to be a theme for this me at this point Smiley Sad)

But I have it working now. Smiley Happy  It's much faster (33s vs 59s) and the memory hit is usable.  I'm attaching the vi.  There may be a better way to convert the string array to the double array at the end.  I'd be interested in continuing to learn about that as well.  I've certainly been learning a lot on this task.

Thank you for the patience to walk me through.

Message 22 of 25
(749 Views)

Yes, that's what I suspected...that's why I made my string indicator as large as I did.  I figured that if you ran the VI, there was a better-than-even chance you'd solve your problem by yourself.  And sure enough...

Smiley Wink

I have LV2010 open right now, I'll open 2011 later and look at your VI.

My pleasure to help, and you are much, much smarter than your shoe.  Smiley Very Happy  It's always a pleasure to help someone who genuinely wants to learn and is willing to put in some work to do so.

0 Kudos
Message 23 of 25
(744 Views)

In the depths of programming discussions one valid point related to the read text file deficiency of LabView was dropped.

LabView needs to have the capability to set the read marker at the beginning of a specified line number or, alternatively, allow the capability to select both number of the first line to read and number of the lines to be read. Now, you need to implement the complicated workaround to do that -as described in the above discussion.

Why one can make an internal LV code counting number of characters to skip, but not the number of CR/LF's? Clearly NI does not care to fix that.

0 Kudos
Message 24 of 25
(580 Views)

Hi MichaelSol,

Thanks for that idea! Please feel free to add this idea to the LabVIEW Idea Exchange which is monitored by our R&D team in order to incorporate desired features into new releases of LabVIEW.

Christine S

Applications Engineer

0 Kudos
Message 25 of 25
(562 Views)