LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I make parallel Instances of a VI, avalible through webserver URL?

Hello, I have a vi that I want multiple people be be able to access at the same time through the web.  Each time a client accesses the URL I want the VI to start a new instance in paralles for them.  So if 5 people went to the URL each would be using their own independent parrallel instance.  I dont want them to be able to see what the other is doing.  Kind of like if you start solitare then click its .exe again it starts another seperate instance of it.  I tried using reentrant execution still showed to the second client that the .vi is controled by someone else, even attempted making it a sub-vi called by a main but i would have to make the main one the .html and it wont display the sub vi's in the webpages embeded window.  

Any Ideas?

Thanks In Advance

I'm running :

Windows XP Pro. SP3

LabView 8.0

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(2,169 Views)

I did this once using CGI in combination with a VIT. the CGI server would open this VIT and create the dynamic web page to show this VIT to the user by using remote panels. So each user had its own anstance of an remote panel.

To explain it in details:

the index.htm would have a POST command in it that will trigger when the user opens up the web page. This post command informs the CGI server. The cgi server then creates a VIT in memory, and creates a dynamic html code that is sent back to the user, (this code would be the html code for a remote panel) but where the VI name that is shown in the remote panel will be the same as the new name that the new VIT got in memory.

Remember also to shut down the VIT when the user closes its browser, otherwise you'll going to have a lot of VIs in memory after a while!

If any questions just ask, you could actually also use datasocket to retrieve the post command.

On tip: the CGI part of labview runs in an own instance. You must link the VIT you your main application instance for it to be able to communicate and share data with your main apllication by using VI server. (weird sentence..)

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(2,157 Views)