From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I interactively create a New File in LabVIEW 2011?

Solved!
Go to solution

I am trying to create a new binary file interactively in LabVIEW, but the File Path control only offers the ability to either type in the full path and file name (cumbersome for the user), or browse for an existing file. I want to open a "New File" dialog that will allow the user to browse to the target directory, then be able to enter the name of a non-existing file to save the data to.

The way I'm currently doing it is creating a TXT file using the Windows Explorer "New Text Document" pop-up, then changing the file extension to the new value...which is again, very cumbersome.

The only thing I've found online is that there used to be a "New File.VI" in an older version of LabVIEW apparently...but I can't seem to find it in 2011.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(2,044 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author Ryan_G_EE

You can create a new file using the browse button.

Did your right click on the file path control and check the settings in the "Browse Options" menu?

Message 2 of 3
(2,042 Views)

LOL. Hadn't tried that yet. Now have it working, thanks!

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(2,027 Views)