LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I find which VIs are actively running?

@andrew_johnson wrote:

Reallly? Your only contribution is to insinuate that someone "just not write bugs?"

I'm surprised you were given an Alliance membership with an attitude like that.

It is a "Tongue-in-cheek" response.  It was meant to be humorous.

Most posters to these forums understand that I can "let my hair down" when there is no easy answer.  Trust me, my attitude is fine!  I appologize to you specifically if I offended you. That was not my intention.

Of  course,  I stand behind the statement.   If you know a garunteed way to write zero bugs...... I'm all ears.

You might also notice that I kept the "Run State" property from side-tracking what Meg needed and offered the DETT as a potential toolkit to help.  Just don't write bugs-  is, IMO, good advice as well.  What did you contribute?

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
Message 31 of 36
(614 Views)

Ah, you intended your comment as something that would contribute humour to the discussion... I missed that, and apologise for my terse response. I have been helping Meg on the sidelines with this issue, and am more interested in finding a solution than in hearing a joke, but I understand now what you were intending. Text on a screen is not the best medium for subtlety - at least for old curmudgeons like me.

- Andrew

Message 32 of 36
(597 Views)

Hey folks-

hopefully you guys are still subscribed to this post, as I realize it's almost a year old...

I'm having an issue that I was hoping to make good use of this vi with:

http://www.ni.com/example/27612/en/

I am assigned to figure out a somewhat old system (labview 8.6, however the design methods used are from another age haha) that is having some problems.

I beleive one of the problems is related to the fact that some labview vis/processes are not being terminated properly.

Upon running through a user test sequence, and then exiting, labview hangs in the background, showing the LabVIEW window in the taskbar with no associated front panel... (i beleive this is connected to BSOD that ocurrs much later).

Running the "showrunningvis.vi results in a null list (other than the vi listing itself) if only "top level vis" is checked.

If I check "show sub vi's I get a list of 20-something low level sub vi's most of which are very simple and don't even involve any loops (most of them are found in vi.lib or some other standard LV livb.  (also this just occurred to me that some of these could very well be subs called by the "showrunningvis.vi"... duh

if I select "show front panels" it brings up the vi's (some are dialog windows)  some of which appear to be running (or reserved)  initially, but once the front panels finish loading, they return to state that appears to not be running - after seeing that they seemed to stop running I ran the showrunningvis.vi again and it lists the same vis... I dont really understand how these vi's can be hanging in the background without a high level vi having them in the running or reserved state..

any of you folks familiar with this kind of problem?

thanks

edit:  I havent looked into the DETT toolkit at all regarding this, let me know if you think thatwould be a much better way to go as I think my company does have licensing for it...

0 Kudos
Message 33 of 36
(542 Views)

use the DETTSmiley Wink

That's exactly what is for

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
0 Kudos
Message 34 of 36
(539 Views)

thanks for the quick response!

looks like LV 8.6.1 is the first version of DETT?

http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/C18F4587A2F15A038625752F0055EE63

The system I'm on only has 8.6.0...  I'm unaware of any risks involved in upgrading, I spose I'll have to enqueue that question in front of the original.

It'll probably be weeks Smiley Frustrated but I'll report back eventually.

Thanks again!

-Pat

0 Kudos
Message 35 of 36
(529 Views)

I've got DETT installed after updating to 8.6.1...

I was hoping something was actually running in the background but now it appears that something is hung, and not active within the LV environment.

With LV still seemingly hung in the background (and not showing any front panels at all but still remaining in the taskbar) DETT shows zero activity.

I'm wondering if one of the dll calls made (an API into a piece of hardware) is what is actually causing LV to hang, but if this were the case, wouldn't the call library function node appear running?

Trying to follow the execution of the test that results in the hanging of LV (or so it appears) leaves me attempting to scroll through 74,000+  events (which I'm attempting to manage via breakpoints and dialog boxes I'm placing down in sub vi's etc)...

I have never used DETT before - Essentially I'm just looking to ask if this is the best way to do this.  Utilizing the breakpoints and such I'm still only able to narrow down to about 17k events, trying to follow whats going on with "highlight paired events" and the rentrancy of some vis involved has my head spinning at the moment.

Any suggestions appreciated.

thx

-pat

0 Kudos
Message 36 of 36
(500 Views)