LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How I can see cluster updates of a VI in the main?

when i'm going to save for previous version, doesn't appear 7.0, the early is 8.0

0 Kudos
Message 11 of 22
(743 Views)

I have written a small code and check it. It will help u in debugging your code.

Run the Main vi and observe the cluster indicator.

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 12 of 22
(737 Views)

ok, thank you very much!! I'm trying it in my code.

0 Kudos
Message 13 of 22
(728 Views)

Try running these vi. In Main.vi the cluster is updated continuously by reading value from the global variable. After going through your question,I understand you are trying to pass data from one VI to another. There are multiple techniques for sharing data among vi.

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 14 of 22
(724 Views)

Thanks Tentatum! I have the 8.6 version. Could you convert the files?

Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
Message 15 of 22
(717 Views)
0 Kudos
Message 16 of 22
(711 Views)

Thanks everyone, this is a great help for me.

Finally I used the option Rajashekar because i can't use other button.

But I have another question, cluster updates are done in a subVI that is inside another subVI and  this is inside the main. How can do the correct reference?

as before i need the updates in the main.

0 Kudos
Message 17 of 22
(686 Views)

Pass the cluster reference from inside the first subVI down to the subVI below that, just like you did from the main VI to the first subVI.

0 Kudos
Message 18 of 22
(672 Views)

Definitely a bit more complex but you may want to look at passing the data updates to the UI (main.vi) using a queue, notifier or user event. Once you start getting  a little deeper with where the updates need to happen passing references starts to tihtly couple your code and reduces the ability to reuse the code. I generally do not recommend using global variables either. This again couples you code and if used incorrectly can lead to race conditions.

Mark Yedinak
Certified LabVIEW Architect
LabVIEW Champion

"Does anyone know where the love of God goes when the waves turn the minutes to hours?"
Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald - Gordon Lightfoot
Message 19 of 22
(660 Views)

@Mark_Yedinak wrote:

Definitely a bit more complex but you may want to look at passing the data updates to the UI (main.vi) using a queue, notifier or user event. Once you start getting  a little deeper with where the updates need to happen passing references starts to tihtly couple your code and reduces the ability to reuse the code. I generally do not recommend using global variables either. This again couples you code and if used incorrectly can lead to race conditions.

totally yes!..after streamlining a vi i did 2 years ago by using locals, ive noticed it was getting harder and harder to debug,"like chasing my tail?" and NI likes to promote loose coupling...

have a look at the NI shipped Examples...Notifier Demultiplexer.vi and Queue Multiplexer.vi to get an idea of what mark is explaining here...Smiley Wink

0 Kudos
Message 20 of 22
(647 Views)