From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Holding Tab Key, controlling rate of focus shift

Solved!
Go to solution

In reference to implementing the solution at: 

http://forums.ni.com/t5/LabVIEW/scanning-for-keyFocus-to-set-Boolean-background-color/m-p/3340056#M9... .

Operators will hold the tab key to tab faster. Holding the key tab results in a very fast change in focus on controls; focus appears to be changing in an erratic order, i.e., not in the tabbing order that was set up for the controls. Not usable as-is.

How can the Windows tab sequence be slowed down to provide repeated, reliable tabbing?

I could abandon tabbing and use a KeyDown event: for example, using up/down arrow keys to shift focus to adjacent controls, with some logic to make exceptions for the controls at the applicable index boundaries.

Thanks,

Jeffrey Bledsoe
Electrical Engineer
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(3,187 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author MinerHokieRamp

Hi,

you could decrease the key repeat rate in the Windows settings…

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(3,171 Views)

Sounds like you didn't setup the tabbing order as you expected otherwise the tabbing order erratic issue should not persist. The default order is by creation of controls on the FP.

Changing the windows setting slows down the all the keyboard entries.

As you mentioned there are other events that can be used, mouse over, mouse up 1 left click, mouse up 2 right click etc. I can see this easily implemented for all boolean since the events once fired issue the reference to the control. From there you can change the boolean properties.

Rich J

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(3,159 Views)

@GerdW wrote:

Hi,

you could decrease the key repeat rate in the Windows settings…

Thanks. That fixed it.

Jeffrey Bledsoe
Electrical Engineer
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(3,148 Views)

The tabbing order was as I had set it. Tabbing was so fast that it appeared that only 3 out of about 25 controls were ever in focus.

Setting Windows 'key repeat' slower (in Win 7, I set the keyboard to the slowest possible key repeat rate) allows the operator to see all the controls as they're highlighted and in the expected sequence.

Thanks,

Jeffrey Bledsoe
Electrical Engineer
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(3,145 Views)