cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hioki sample app rounding data for graph

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi everyone,

Im quite new in labview and more than creator, Im a user. I am using Hioki IM3536 sample application for external measuring and saving data from the meter. Sadly I dont have enough time to learn how to work with labview in the block diagram so for you answer for my question will be surely quite simple but for me it would take hours to find out the solution.

Labview rounding.png

This is how my problem looks like, you can see that the yellow line (phase) does not have any digit values, its rounding the values somehow in the process of trasnfering from meter to the graph. There are two ways to export data from that sample app. By exporting from graph to excel, or saving directly to excel on the third tab. When I do both, I can see that the graph is rounding and not using digits and the direct values saved to csv has all digits I want.

Could someone guide me to turn off the rounding? Or change it for me.

Here is download link for the driver (sample app)

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(3,458 Views)

Hi Bendys,

attaching a scaled-down version of your image effectly prevents us from detecting interesting facts.

Do you mind to attach an image where we actually can READ some values?

Which decimal separator do you use in your OS?

Edit:

After checking the linked ZIP file: Please check the output of "Measure" VI!

Does it provide the measurement values with digits as wanted?

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(3,422 Views)

Hi GerdW,

thank you for your answer. Ye that picture is quite small, I thought it will be bigger. I'm attaching it to this post.

I will try to search for the "Measure" VI. But as I mentioned. Im just using the software, i did not create it so I cant orient very well in it. It can take some time.

Decimal separator in my Windows is " , "

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(3,402 Views)

I've opened the measure.vi while doing the measurment. In the collum Output Str, there are full numbers with the digits, in the second collum Output Val there is always the first number, all digits are zeroes plus the exponent. Ad the bottom Output is:  "475.364E+00, -88.796, 2.10365E-03" , so with digits and everything

Edit: Attaching the Measure.vi screen

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(3,392 Views)
Solution
Accepted by Bendys

Hi Bendys,

now I can see what I wanted to see in your image.

Change the decimal separator from "," (comma) to "." (period) in your OS settings. The period is used as standard decimal separator char with English - and English is the "language" your measurement device talks! Then restart LabVIEW and everything should be ok!

In the long run you should change that device driver to allow for any OS setting by using more advanced string-to-number conversion routines…

Best regards,
GerdW

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(3,368 Views)

Perfect! It worked! Thank you GerdW very much, it also solved my second problem. The meter sended data like 12kOhm, then it slowly decreased bellow one kiloOhm and it started sending 900. But the program received only number string: 1.1 ; 1.01. 999 ; 998 ; 997 etc... 😄 but this somehow fixed it.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(3,334 Views)

Hi Bendys,

but this somehow fixed it.

It's not fixed "somehow", it's fixed by basic understanding of string-to-number conversion!

Advice: when working with (external) measurement devices always set your computer to use the period as decimal separator. It avoids of lot of hassle. (But be warned: it also hides bugs in your software as you have recognized on your own…)

Best regards,
GerdW

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(3,325 Views)