From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

High Voltage Monitoring in Labview.

Solved!
Go to solution

Hello everyone,

I want to monitor the voltage across a device that is used for transformers testing. It has Voltage around 50KV-100KV. and i want to monitor this much voltage in Labview. Indirectly I want to use Labview as an AC Voltmeter (in KV range).  What is the procedure for it and mainly Which one is the cheapest and for it? 

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(3,694 Views)

You will not find a data acquisition device capable of sampling those high voltages. Once you get the voltage down to a reasonable level (say 10V or so), then there's a plethora of devices that you can use, depending on the form factor that you need (i.e., plug-in card, PXI card, or USB-based device). As for getting the voltage down to a reasonable level, a transformer comes to mind. If you do not have high voltage experience then I suggest you find someone who does, as you are working with stuff that can kill.

Message 2 of 8
(3,675 Views)

M.Mohsin wrote: What is the procedure for it and mainly Which one is the cheapest and for it? 

You are asking the worst possible question.  The cheapest method for high voltage testing is going to cause fatalities.  There are some good high voltage probes out there (they are not cheap) and certainly you can build a 5000:1 voltage divider be careful of the component specs though- at these types of voltages things get really squirrely.  Corona and arc management is just the tip of the iceburg, skin effects and voltage coefficients introduce their own challenges.  OSHA (or other regulating bodies) will have their own rules that you better follow as well. Consult with an expert in the field for your area before commiting to a test methodology.

Good luck and don't die.

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
Message 3 of 8
(3,656 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author M.Mohsin

Here is a company that deals with high voltage test equipment:

http://www.haefely.com

http://www.haefely.com/10-products/40-high-voltage-konstruction-kit.php

Swiss quality and swiss prices Smiley Surprised

Building AC voltage divider in that class is material science, mechanical artwork (OK, some say plumber artwork;) ) and a lot of Maxwell 🙂

And not to forget the Flux compensator ...

Greetings from Germany
Henrik

LV since v3.1

“ground” is a convenient fantasy

'˙˙˙˙uıɐƃɐ lɐıp puɐ °06 ǝuoɥd ɹnoʎ uɹnʇ ǝsɐǝld 'ʎɹɐuıƃɐɯı sı pǝlɐıp ǝʌɐɥ noʎ ɹǝqɯnu ǝɥʇ'

Message 4 of 8
(3,632 Views)

You People are right, i am new to Power Engineering ... I have consulted the teachers and they are ready to provide a transformer that can bear that much voltage and can change it to a reasonable voltage to be fed in computer. and also being provided by the NI DAQ-USB. thnx all....

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(3,626 Views)

Hi, you can find the power transformer test system via: http://www.himalayal.com.cn/Product.asp?partid=302&smallid=367 

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(3,441 Views)

Buy/get some high voltage multimeter, they probably have a serial or network port, write a small VI to ask for the values. 🙂

/Y

G# - Award winning reference based OOP for LV, for free! - Qestit VIPM GitHub

Qestit Systems
Certified-LabVIEW-Developer
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(3,431 Views)

@Yamaeda wrote:

Buy/get some high voltage multimeter, they probably have a serial or network port, write a small VI to ask for the values. 🙂

/Y

Actually I just got a 50kV test head for a Ri=330M Multimeter, DC!   Nice for old TEK scopes ...

Greetings from Germany
Henrik

LV since v3.1

“ground” is a convenient fantasy

'˙˙˙˙uıɐƃɐ lɐıp puɐ °06 ǝuoɥd ɹnoʎ uɹnʇ ǝsɐǝld 'ʎɹɐuıƃɐɯı sı pǝlɐıp ǝʌɐɥ noʎ ɹǝqɯnu ǝɥʇ'

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(3,410 Views)