cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hide "This VI" Label by default

Solved!
Go to solution

Hello,

how can I customize my LabVIEW so when I drop the VI Server Reference from the menu or the quick drop, to have the Label not visible by default. In most cases the Constant itself shows the label of the referenced object.

This VI.png

Thank you!

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(3,783 Views)

I don't think there is a way to do it since it is built into the palettes.

You might be able to add another version to the palettes as a "Merge VI" that doesn't have the label shown.

But I question whether this is worth all the effort.  Hiding the label after dropping is only a couple mouse clicks.  And the This VI constant is not very commonly used.  At most once in a VI, in all likelihood, only a couple times in a give project.  Probably writing the question and submitting the message took more time than you'd ever save in your lifetime if you had the option to turn off the label by default.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(3,769 Views)

Haha thank you for the reply, really appreciated. I agree this situation alone is probably not worth the whole time we are spending right now, I saw an opportunity to learn something that could be usefull for other situations.

Maybe the VI Scripting would allow to detect the dropping of such constants and automatically hide the label...

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(3,763 Views)

@JimChretz wrote:

Maybe the VI Scripting would allow to detect the dropping of such constants and automatically hide the label...

There may be a path forward there.  If you look into how Quick Drop works, which is itself written in LabVIEW.  And the hiding of the label would certainly only be a node or two with scripting.  So if there is a way to connect it within quickdrop while dropping the function, or make it into a shortcut key connection to hide a label.  (But that would change things from a couple mouse clicks to a couple key-clicks.  I think that would save a second.  But would be more extendable to work with anything on the block diagram, which may be a good thing or a bad thinl.  😉  )

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(3,742 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author JimChretz

Yeah in my opinion the easiest way to get what you want, would be to make a VI that is just the "This VI" constant, with the label hidden.  Put it on your palette and set it to merge (place VI contents) either by making a VIPM package, or by going to Tools >> Advanced >> Edit Palette Set.  Any VI on your palette is available with quick drop, so now you can make a shortcut like "vi" which will drop your VI which won't have the label.  

There's probably lots of hacky ways, like go into the QuickDrop code, detect when a This VI is being dropped and script it away, or create a QuickDrop function that when you press CTRL+<something> looks on your VI for all This VI constants and removes the labels.  This could probably be invoked on a bunch of VIs at once too.

Message 5 of 6
(3,732 Views)

Thanks a lot Sir,

that's exactly what I wanted to know.

I replace the menu item with my This.vi. That's even a custom quick drop short cut "This" which makes sense to me.

This.png

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(3,711 Views)