LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help with FileSystemWatcher in .NET

Solved!
Go to solution

Since I haven't been too familiar with .NET in any language, I'd figure I'd start out with something simple like the FileSystemWatcher. I was wondering if anyone had any experience with the this constructor. How do I make .NET trigger when a file has changed?

I went by the example on the MSDN site for this, but I've hit a snag. Can anyone help? I've included the VI below.

FSW.png

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(4,404 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author Eric1977

Hi Eric,

why don't you study the ready-to-use example in the LabVIEW community?

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
Message 2 of 5
(4,395 Views)

I wrote a version of soemthing like this once.

The thing to keep in mind is that different applications read and write to files in different ways.

I found Notepad generated multiple events for a single save. Not very friendly 😞

Another FileSystemWatcher example can be found here:

http://blog.jki.net/labs/dont-throw-away-your-throw-away-code/

Now is the right time to use %^<%Y-%m-%dT%H:%M:%S%3uZ>T
If you don't hate time zones, you're not a real programmer.

"You are what you don't automate"
Inplaceness is synonymous with insidiousness

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(4,371 Views)

@GerdW wrote:

Hi Eric,

why don't you study the ready-to-use example in the LabVIEW community?

I didn't see that on my Google search. Probably just skimmed right over it. Thanks.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(4,344 Views)

@Eric1977 wrote:

Since I haven't been too familiar with .NET in any language, I'd figure I'd start out with something simple like the FileSystemWatcher. I was wondering if anyone had any experience with the this constructor. How do I make .NET trigger when a file has changed?

Callbacks are never simple! 😁 LabVIEW tries to hide away some of the complications but only manages in a limited way to do that. It's definitely not straightforward programming and in a way goes completely against LabVIEW dataflow programming, which is why they chose to implement it as an event in .Net. Unfortunately .Net events don't map easily to LabVIEW events.

Whenever I had to deal with events in .Net or Java code in the past I always had to pinch myself a few times to get my mind wrapped around the correct syntax and not make a total mess of the implementation.

Rolf Kalbermatter
My Blog
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(2,091 Views)