LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help creating medical record?

I have an algorythm that detects the heart beat of the patient, and I would like to do a program that keeps all the diagnosis of the patient, plus the name, and I'd like to create a database in labview that links them together. Anybody has ideas?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 9
(3,292 Views)
Yes I do. Do you have any more details? What exactly are you trying to accomplish? How much do you know about LabVIEW? What parts of the task are troubling you?

Mike...

Certified Professional Instructor
Certified LabVIEW Architect
LabVIEW Champion

"... after all, He's not a tame lion..."

For help with grief and grieving.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 9
(3,287 Views)

I was thinking of a data base where you have: name, surname, address, sex, age and diagnosis. I'm thinking of writing about 5 different files, as if there were 5 patients. After analysing the heart beat of the patient I've analysed it and diagnosed it, like this, for example, patient A has brachycardia, so I want that information to be saved in the medical record under Name A. I'm not very skilled at Labview and quite new at it, so something simple if possible... 

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 9
(3,256 Views)

Is this a home work / practice? Why do you need a database for 5 patients? Why not using a single file for all patients? Just type their data into an Excel sheet, and done. This is either not really a LabVIEW related question. Of course LabVIEW can deal with databases (there are even toolkits for that), but there are standalone database management softwares available for pure database management tasks. What is the purpose of LabVIEW in this case? Do you measure the heartbeat using LabVIEW?

Anyway, if you wanna go this way, here is an example got after a blink of google search:

http://www.labviewing.com/database-connectivity-using-mysql-example/

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 9
(3,246 Views)

Let's be fair Blokk.  We often start a program with a small sample size that shows the program works.  It's a bit silly to believe they'll invest all of that time for a group that will never exceed 5.  "Let's say" even implies this is a test case rather than the expected result.

That said, are we sure we want to have multiple files as we scale the number of patients?  That sounds like it could quickly become a mess to manage.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 9
(3,239 Views)

I think the idea is that you should be thinking of how many patients you are eventually going to have and what you are going to be doing with that data to make sure that you are using the best method for what you're doing.

Matt J | National Instruments | CLA
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 9
(3,228 Views)

I have never used databases before, I started to google a bit. This looks promising for LabVIEW:

http://sine.ni.com/nips/cds/view/p/lang/en/nid/212894

Good luck!

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 9
(3,220 Views)

Thanks for all the feedback, everyone! It's part of my college's end-of-year project and we're using labview for most of the analysis (including the heart beat detection part, where we see if the patient has an arrythmia or not).  What we've been asked to do is the following:  once an arrythmia is identified it must be notified and registered at a server. Therefore, the remote monitoring system must, on the one hand, send an alert if the patient is located in the UCI and an arrythmia is detected. On the other hand, any kind of incident that may happen in the UCI, ambulatory clinic or in the surgical room must be registered in the database of the server.

So basically, I must design the network that connects the monitor with the server, plus a program that sends messsages from the monitor to the server. Of course, in the server I should have the database, where all the data is collected. I hope it's clearer now. It doesn't specify how many people. Another option would be to just ask for the name whenever the patient is being monitored, without creating individual files for each.....

More suggestions?

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 9
(3,211 Views)
Here is a place to start specifically of the topic of databases.

http://www.notatamelion.com/2015/01/05/managing-data-the-easy-way/

In terms of overall structure, the application seems to have an acquisition piece, an analysis piece and a data management piece. You might want to look into the producer-consumer design pattern. You will also find information on that structure on the blog.

Above all, go through the tutorials.

Mike...

Certified Professional Instructor
Certified LabVIEW Architect
LabVIEW Champion

"... after all, He's not a tame lion..."

For help with grief and grieving.
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 9
(3,203 Views)