From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hello, Regarding the Build aplication and Labview runtime

I have installed a Labview run-time in the non labview laptop but yet the VI with .exe does not run. So is there any way i can build a VI with .exe with the run-time VI within. Would appreciate some guidance thanks sneha
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(2,849 Views)

@sneha10 wrote:
I have installed a Labview run-time in the non labview laptop but yet the VI with .exe does not run. So is there any way i can build a VI with .exe with the run-time VI within. Would appreciate some guidance thanks sneha

Does not run? Do you get an error message of any kind?

========================
=== Engineer Ambiguously ===
========================
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(2,838 Views)

I've never built an Installer, but have built numerous .EXEs that ran on non-LabVIEW PCs on which I had installed the appropriate LabVIEW RunTime Engine.  You need to make sure the "bit-ness" is correct (32-bit LabVIEW needs the 32-bit RTE).  I'm less certain about the rules for LabVIEW Version, but I always install the RTE Version that "matches" the Version of LabVIEW used to make the Executable.

I assume you know that installing the RTE requires running a program to do the installation for you -- you cannot just copy over some files ...

Bob Schor

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(2,837 Views)

@Bob_Schor wrote:

I've never built an Installer, but have built numerous .EXEs that ran on non-LabVIEW PCs on which I had installed the appropriate LabVIEW RunTime Engine.  You need to make sure the "bit-ness" is correct (32-bit LabVIEW needs the 32-bit RTE).  I'm less certain about the rules for LabVIEW Version, but I always install the RTE Version that "matches" the Version of LabVIEW used to make the Executable.

I assume you know that installing the RTE requires running a program to do the installation for you -- you cannot just copy over some files ...

Bob Schor

Besides the proper runtime you might also need to install NI-VISA and maybe even NI-488.2. 

I also try to match the installed versions on the target machines with teh version on my development system.

So oyu might want to build an installer and run that on the target

========================
=== Engineer Ambiguously ===
========================
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(2,834 Views)

Besides LabVIEW will automatically includes the neccesary device drivers while creating an installer.If you are using a third party 

hardware need to install those drivers

Venugopal
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(2,806 Views)

Adding to previous others comments:

-You need to mention what modules you are using in this VI because correspondigly you might need to install the runtime.

-You need to be mention about the LabVIEW development version where you created exe and the Runtime version.

-And the OS version and bit type  of development and Target PC to see if there is any incompatibility issues.

-Suggestion would be sometimes it is better to create installer by taking help of LabVIEW so that it automatically suggests the runtime engines required to avoid these to certain extent.

Thanks
uday
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(2,802 Views)