LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Heavy bug in "exponential fit"??

I didn't have the possibility the test core affinity and/or bios settings, but a quick test with a i5 show very interesting results:

i5 4 parallell:

parallell-i5-4.PNG

i5 2 parallell:

parallell-i5-2.PNG

i5 parallell disabled:

parallell-i5-1.PNG

These numbers show that your rewrite is the fastest all the way from double loops. Which leads to the question: is it a NI problem, Windows or AMD that the Phenom is "bad" in comparison? Most multithreading tests (divx compile, 3d studio and stuff) shows very good results for AMD. Could the SSE2 code be a factor, is that used in these instances?

/Y

G# - Award winning reference based OOP for LV, for free! - Qestit VIPM GitHub

Qestit Systems
Certified-LabVIEW-Developer
Message 31 of 34
(702 Views)

@Yamaeda wrote:

These numbers show that your rewrite is the fastest all the way from double loops. Which leads to the question: is it a NI problem, Windows or AMD that the Phenom is "bad" in comparison? Most multithreading tests (divx compile, 3d studio and stuff) shows very good results for AMD. 

I also got much better results running my Fortran programs on Intel compared to the newer AMDs.

For a while I had a 64 core AMD machine (4 x Opteron 6274 with 16 cores each). On fully parallelized LabVIEW code it was roughly equivalent to a 6 core I7. The parallelization was good, but the performance per core was horrible. Also the "cached" performance was bad, probably due to contention in the critical section where all 64 CPUs need to access the shared data.

Now I have a dual Xeon E5-2687W with 16 cores (32 when counting hyperthreading) and it is significantly faster than the AMD 64 core system. (See also my footnote at the bottom of this page). Of course I built a I7 for 10% of the cost of the dual xeon and it is less than 3x slower than the dual xeon (even less if I overclock it ;)).

AMDs had other problems and incompatibilities, so maybe it is just that the software infrastructure has not been optimized yet.

I am polishing up my new code for release and it will include a detailed benchmarking feature. We will have a lot of data once my users submit their results. 😄

0 Kudos
Message 32 of 34
(698 Views)

Alright, turning off C1E in bios did improve things slightly, to 9.5x slower from 10.5x (on no parallell instance on rewrite). Changing LV core affinity didn't change anything. Is the SSE2-optimization active in development environment, and can i disable that?

/Y

Qestit Systems
0 Kudos
Message 33 of 34
(677 Views)

I did an exe with and without sse2-optimization and it didn't make any difference.

Qestit Systems
0 Kudos
Message 34 of 34
(659 Views)