From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Having difficulty creating MNU for packed library

Solved!
Go to solution

Hello All,

I am using a packed library and I am attempting to create a .mnu for it.

I want to be able to drop my packed library into the user.lib or vi.lib folder so my coworkers and I can use common VI's.

Every time I create the .mnu and add it to my packed library, my links get broken.

I can create a .mnu using the Edit Palette Set.

I can add the .mnu to my packed library.

I can import the packed library .mnu using the Edit Pallete Set. But at this time, any VI's inside that menu are now just broken links.

I have tried multiple processes. What I have observed is I cannot import VI's from the library. I have to import them prior to being packed. So I copy all my VI's to my user.lib folder.

However, the path does not match the packed library.

How do I make a .mnu for a Packed Library with subdirectories and no broken links?

I need to be able to put it in any folder with the links of the packed library not being broken.

I would like to use subdirectories for easy navigation.

Do I need to put the VI's into a folder named the same file name as my packed library to preserve the relative paths?

I have searched the forums and the help and I am missing something. Perhaps I am doing things out of order.

Any advice would be helpful.

Veni Vidi Duci
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(3,362 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author DB_IQ

I sort of answered my own question. Here is what I did, for those who have similar issues.

1.) Opened my packed library project.

2.) Selected the top level project item.

3.) When to tools -> advanced -> edit palette set. (This is why I selected the top level item. for me, this option does nothing unless I select a VI or some sort of project in the file tree first. I can also do it inside a VI with no problems.)

4.) Under the user libraries, I created a new subpalette.

5.) Under new subpalette, I selected the fourth option (link directly to directory)

6.) I browse to the directory where I stored my VI's in the packed library. I DID Not move them to the user.lib folder.

7.) Once the import was completed, the VI's appeared in my control panel under user libraries. I also customized my Icons and directory names at this point.

8.) A dir.mnu file is created as part of the import inside the folder my VI's are contained in.

9.) I right click on the top level library in the project viewer, and select properties. I set the dir.mnu file as the default .mnu

10.) I build the library

11.) I copy my packed library into the user.lib folder.

12.) I once again go to edit palette set, I remove the palette created in step 5.

13.) I create a new palette, this time choosing option 5 (link to palette file in a project library). The packed library is now part of my control panel. My Icons and directories are preserved.

My project structure is to create a folder with the packed library project. I then have a subfolder called VI. Inside that volder I store all of my VI's that are part of the packed library project.

This seems to work. But I need to do more testing. I used basic structures. I have not done one yet with a more elaborate scheme such as sub palettes.

Veni Vidi Duci
Message 2 of 5
(3,284 Views)

Note: I had to add the dir.mnu to the library project before I could set this as the default .mnu in the properties of the library.

Veni Vidi Duci
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(3,275 Views)

Final note: Adding subfolders into the VI folder and placing VI's inside those folders automatically creates subpalettes when I perform Step 5.

Thus nicely organized, clean palettes in the control panel. Very good.

Veni Vidi Duci
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(3,261 Views)

Is there a reason you don't just use VIPM for this?  The free version allows you to do some pretty powerful stuff, it also will handle versioning, dependencies, and editing the palettes.  The pro version adds several other useful tools like running a Pre or Post VI after install or uninstall.

https://decibel.ni.com/content/docs/DOC-22229

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(3,075 Views)