cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Having a difficult time starting LabVIEW Web Server

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi All,

I've run into some odd behaviors in my LabVIEW 8.6.1 environment. I haven't used the web server in a while and now have a project where it is needed.  First, I went to the Options dialog under the "Web Server:Configuration" category.  When I check "Enable Web Server" with defaults and press OK, I get the following dialog:

Error0.png

I thought, "That's odd," and first tried running 8.6.1 with Administator privileges.  (Vista)  Nothing changed.  I also took a look at the permissions on the LabVIEW 8.6.1\www and the LabVIEW 8.6.1\resource\webserver directories.  Those appear to be in order.

Next, I performed a mass compile on the "resource" directory, crossing my fingers.  That didn't change anything either.

Next, I tried manually enabling the webserver by adding the "WebServer.Enabled=True" entry in labview.ini.  Now when LabVIEW starts I see this dialog:

CannotStart.png

It would seem that I somehow am missing some files.  Can someone point me in the right direction?  I have 8.5.1, 8.6.1 and 2009 on my Vista development PC, so reinstalling is a very painful option.  There's another LabVIEW 8.6.1 machine here that I can copy files off of if I know which ones I'm missing.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks,

Jim

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(3,355 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author Mr._Jim

I figured it out.  This morning I wrote a VI to enumerate the files in ...\LabVIEW 8.6\ on two different machines.  I then compared the files that appear in the known working 8.6 installation with the files on my computer and took note of files that aren't on mine but are on the other.

As it turns out, somehow I was missing the following (among a few others)

\LabVIEW 8.6\resource\niwebsrv.dll

\LabVIEW 8.6\resource\libappweb.dll

Once I copied these files over, the "error 0" hasn't shown itself since.

The big question relates to why I was missing those DLLs.  I suspect that, when I upgraded LabVIEW 8.6 to 8.6.1 I think I used a different directory under \program files\national instruments\.  The installer didn't pick up on this, and I think some necessary files got left in the old directory.

I hope this helps someone someday.  Apparently I have lousy luck with running into obscure problems.

Jim

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(3,319 Views)