LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Have to present date from parallell port on the graf?

Please, I need 5 minutes of your time.
For someone who knows this it is very simple,
I have never worked with ports so I dont kmow it yet.

I need to present date recived from parallell port on the graf so I can see have date changes.

Thank you.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(2,440 Views)
miikii,
We have a tutorial called Using the Parallel Port in LabVIEW. I think you'll find it very useful.

We also have a very brief KnowledgeBase that discusses the question called Accessing Parallel ports with VISA

In addition I think that one of the example programs we ship with LabVIEW will prove useful in your project. It is called "Parallel Port Read and Write loop.vi" and demonstrates how to use VISA with COM ports.  You can get to this example by going to Help>>Find Examples then with the "search" tab selected, search for "parallel". The "Parallel Port Read and Write loop.vi" should appear in the list. The Basic Serial Read and Write.vi example may also prove useful

Now once you actually get the information you're looking for, you can use the "Spreadsheet String to Array" to convert from strings to numbers. Then just wire that information into a graph and you're good to go.

Chris C

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(2,422 Views)
You will find that the 2 parallel port examples included with LabVIEW do everything you ask except graphing the data.  If you want to record the numeric representation of the port bits, simply wire a chart to the output of 'In Port.vi'.  You could also use the digital waveform graph to record the bit level changes.  It depends on what you are trying to accomplish.

Don't forget to read the example notes that explain the different parallel port configurations.  Your PCs BIOS may need to be set to SPP (standard port mode) and you may need to know the port address to get things working.  There are also good threads here if you search for parallel port which include some links to port tutorials and utilities.

K
LabVIEW Pro Dev & Measurement Studio Pro (VS Pro) 2019 - Unfortunately now moving back to C#, .NET, Python due to forced change to subscription model by NI. 8^{
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(2,419 Views)
Yes,I want to record the numeric representation of the port bits. I have done what you told me, and it doesnt have errors but I am not sure that I have done it corectlly so
I dont know will it work when I have to use it in project.

So I have to ask you
Could you do it for me,please?

I am asking You because it is very inportat to me.

Thank you
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(2,404 Views)
Asking someone else to do your work is very inappropriate whether it's important to you or not. This forum exists to provide help and clues but not as a means for someone to cheat on a school project (I assume that is what you are doing). You are the only one who has the hardware connected to the parallel port and you are the only one who can tell it the data you are reading is correct or not. If you want to post some code that you've written with samples of data, a description of any problems you might be having, .etc, you'll get assistance. There are links at http://www.ni.com/devzone/lvzone/fundamentals.htm for on-line tutorials that you should take if you are struggling with some of the basic concepts in LabVIEW.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(2,394 Views)