From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Have some one managed to control and IC WS2801 with labview?

It's a LED Pixel control IC that contains VSS, GND and DI as their inpur and VSS, GND and DO as their outputs.

------------------------------------------------------
There is "No C" in spanish.
If you can think it, you can develop it.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(3,166 Views)

Take a look at the Giant Tetris link in my signature - I used a myRIO to control a string of 200 WS2801-based LEDs. You can also do it fairly easily with an FTDI lead (5V TTL USB to RS232 converter with the pins broken out) as that's what I used for my initial work on it.

You didn't mention what hardware you were using.

LabVIEW Champion, CLA, CLED, CTD
(blog)
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(3,150 Views)

Hola Sam

I started this using an Arduino, however it is not what I am really looking at.

That component (and also the WS2811) have those specific I/O pins, so my wonder is if just using LabView we can control them.

Given your input of the USB-to RS232 converter, I will give a try and see.

BTW, I looked at your Giant Tetris project and looks really impressive, I will also give a try to it in the upcoming weeks.

------------------------------------------------------
There is "No C" in spanish.
If you can think it, you can develop it.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(3,138 Views)

Something like the 5V version of the converters here is what I used: http://www.ftdichip.com/Products/Cables/USBTTLSerial.htm

There is a LabVIEW provided by FTDI for using it in D2XX mode which is what you need for outputting SPI data (clock + data) for the WS2801. 

LabVIEW Champion, CLA, CLED, CTD
(blog)
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(3,129 Views)

WS2801 just same as APA102 LED Which have clock and data , you need to find the SPI code which have clock and data , ws2811 only have data. 

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(2,909 Views)