LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HELP data dashboard over the internet

Solved!
Go to solution

Hello, I am fairly new to labview and data dashboard so please bear with me,.... I have built a vi. That use shared variables, I have been able to use data dashboard to view and control my vi, while im on the same network, However im not sure what address to use when trying to access the vi over the internet, I have tried everything I know and nothing seems to work, Can someone tell me how to connect to my vi over the internet using data dashboard and shared variables or is it even possible, Thanks in advance. ...., 

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(2,996 Views)

The problem is going to be connectivity. In between two two computers on the internet you can have innumerable router, switches, and service providers that  can and do block access to the ports that your application will need to communicate.

Mike...

Certified Professional Instructor
Certified LabVIEW Architect
LabVIEW Champion

"... after all, He's not a tame lion..."

For help with grief and grieving.
Message 2 of 6
(2,973 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author dslim

Hi,

The standard way to connect to computers on a private network, for instance your companies business network, or your schools network, is to use a virtual private network (VPN). A server has to be installed and configured correctly on the private network, but afterwards you can install a VPN client on your remote computer and it allows you to connect to the server, securely, and access resources on the private network. Talk to IT, or the system administrator of the private network your LV computer is running on. They may already have a VPN server setup, or they may set one up for you.

Good luck!

Message 3 of 6
(2,967 Views)

Thanks for the response, im using labview at home on my own home network, I understand a little about vpn, but im not sure if that would help what I am trying to do, maybe I should clarify,  I have built a vi using labview and arduino to control my greenhouse, it works perfect. I am able to view and control fans, motors, pumps ect. on my android tablet while I am at home. What I am trying to do is use Ni Data Dashboard for android to check on and control it from anywhere. I may have misunderstood something on the ni website somewhere, but it said that I could use Data Dashboard to control my vi from anywhere remotely,  and this is what im attempting to do. Just to be clear, because I couldn't find much on the Internet,  Is data dashboard capable of accessingthe shared variable s in my vi remotely? And if so, how, Thanks in advance...

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(2,959 Views)
The problem is with your home network settings and really has nothing to do with the dashboard app. Make your home network publicly available.
Message 5 of 6
(2,951 Views)

Thank again guys for the help and suggestions,  and the patients as I am fairly new to all of this, I figured it out as suggested I had to set up a windows 7 server on my pc and use my ip address to connect to the data in the dashboard app. Thanks again all

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(2,944 Views)