From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HELP! Error 8 occurred at TDMS Open

Hi,

I have built 2 vis to run concurrently, 1 vi acquires data from hardware and saves it as a TDMS file on a network drive. The other reads the TDMS file, and displays a graph.

In the development environment, both vis run fine. When I build an executable, the read vi gets error 8. Somehow as an executable the vi lost file permissions but as a plain vi it is fine?!

If I relocate the code to another PC, the development vi and the executable both get error 8!

All PCs in this scenario have R/W access to the network drive. I'm using LabVIEW 2014.

Anyhelp would be great!! 

Thanks

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(3,872 Views)

Try running as an administrator, or turning UAC down.  Do you have any firewall or anti-virus programs running?

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(3,864 Views)
Yes, to echo Brian, when ever I have seen this error it has been a directory permissions problem. Where specifically on the network drive are you trying to write the file? Is there anything special about the location?

Mike...

Certified Professional Instructor
Certified LabVIEW Architect
LabVIEW Champion

"... after all, He's not a tame lion..."

For help with grief and grieving.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(3,855 Views)

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm still wrestling with this... I've tried running as administrator... same result. We do have some firewall, anti-virus programs running, due to IT policies I dont have any access to modify those things...

There's nothing special about the location of the network drive. It's just an easily accessible resource, available to everyone who needs to run the program.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(3,815 Views)

I've had anti-virus, firewall programs, and domain policies, cause many programs to not behave correctly.  From seeing graphical glitches on cameras, corrupted file transfer, remove desktop flackyness, file I/O errors, remote front panel failures, and DAQ errors.  I've seen many issues all attributed to IT policies put in place to protect us.  They have their job and I have mine, and when I waste days troubleshooting a feature I can't deliver due to their policies, I get cranky.

I'd do what you can to try to test this on a PC that is not domain controlled and see if the issue goes away.  It might not be related but I can't think of any other reason this would act like you are describing.

Message 5 of 5
(3,809 Views)