LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Guidelines for setting buffer size?

Solved!
Go to solution

Are there any articles or posts that describe basic guidelines for choosing buffer sizes to use when acquiring data?

Are there specific problems that tend to occur when buffers are either too large or too small?

Thanks,

Dave

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(2,826 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author davey31415

The buffer has to be large enough to handle the data acquired durring the longest interval between reading th backlog. 

Too small and you run into issues if you don't read your data fast enough.

Too large and you waste memory.

My personal guideline is "close my eyes and imagine the user trying to open a huge Excell spreadsheet while the app is running"- however long I suspect the PC will take to open the file will dictate (based on sample rate) what is the minimum size. In the old-days I would just double that number. These days i can use a fudge factor of 5.

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
Message 2 of 4
(2,823 Views)

Thanks.  Is the backlog the data which has been buffered but has not yet been read?

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(2,809 Views)

davey31415 wrote:

Thanks.  Is the backlog the data which has been buffered but has not yet been read?

Yes. i believe it used to be called the "backlog" in the old traditional DAQ VIs. In DAQmx there is a property that report the number of samples waiting in the buffer.

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
Message 4 of 4
(2,806 Views)