LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphs do not update when hidden

I have a tab control where each tab has a graph that is embedded inside of a typedef. When the program is executing and I change tabs, it takes a few seconds for the graph to update even though the data has been long posted. This would be ok, except when the program ends and I change to a tab, it does not update the control accordingly.

Why does this happen. Are there any solutions?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(2,640 Views)

Steve Block wrote:

I have a tab control where each tab has a graph that is embedded inside of a typedef. When the program is executing and I change tabs, it takes a few seconds for the graph to update even though the data has been long posted. This would be ok, except when the program ends and I change to a tab, it does not update the control accordingly.

Why does this happen. Are there any solutions?

Performance

Updating graphs that are not visable is a waste of CPU.

Solutions

I have used Invoke node >>> Get images (unbundle that image to ensur eth nodes is not optimized out) when the graph becomes visable.

Search on "Jiggle the Handle" for other threads on this topic.

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(2,625 Views)

I am in a similar situation and need some graphs on different tabs to update when they are hidden so the user can check the results after the test. They are part of a custom control cluster on each tab. Unfortunately even writing to the value property of the custom control doesn't update them. How can I force them to update even when hidden? This is totally crazy that I can't!

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(2,488 Views)

This is an old thread.

What is your LabVIEW version? Can you show us some simplified code that demonstrates the problem. 

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(2,475 Views)

These pictures show the tab control. The graph and numeric control are a custom control on the tab page. During the test I use a reference to the custom control to read the numeric control and write to the graph using the value node. Probing this point shows the data being written to the value node but unless the particular page is open at the time it doesn't get written to the display. I even tried writing to the "value (signaling)" and using an event to write the data to a value node rather than a reference but it still doesn't update the display unless that tab is visible at the time.
The only way to do it seems to be putting a graph indicator on the tab and writing to that directly. It means a lot of recoding and a messier result 😞

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(2,466 Views)

Oh, and Labview 12 SP1.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(2,465 Views)

More exactly, Labview 2012 but not SP1 (My mistake - I have a few versions which gets confusing at times).

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(2,422 Views)