LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphic editor error

Hi, I am developing a VI with a very long flat sequence. While I was "drawing" my sequence, suddenly the graphic editor appear to crash: the sequence appears truncated and if I try to enlarge it, the sequence became very thin in horizontal direction.

If I try to restore the VI moving its components, I'm not able to return to initial conditions. Sometimes the fatal error "fpsane.cpp line 42" appears.

What could be the problem? Is there a length limit in Labview graphical editor?

Regards

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 12
(2,407 Views)

Hi hex_cro

Actually I don't know if there is some error in the graphical editor, but what sounds to me, odd and bizzare is that you are using a very long flat sequence in your code. Why? You can chenge the flat sequence you are using with a stacket sequence structure which also is more practice.

Think easy to solve you problem! Smiley Very Happy

Regards!

Ricky
Italian Developer engineer
www.www.selt-sistemi.com
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 12
(2,404 Views)

The question is different: is there a limit on the length of flat sequence? I don't know any warning related to their length.

You can't say "think easy" if you don't know the project and if you don't know why I have preferred to use flat sequence than stacked one. If you say "think easy", it seems that you know there is a problem related to length of flat sequences...

Bye

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 12
(2,398 Views)

I'm sorry, but the "Think easy to solve your problem!" is a general saying, it wasn't a specific suggestion about your problem!

I don't know your problem but I think it isn't a good way to use a flat sequence with a lot of case, it is better to use the stacked sequence such as I have already suggested to use to do that, actually the best solution would be a state machine structure.

Ricky
Italian Developer engineer
www.www.selt-sistemi.com
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 12
(2,396 Views)

You're problem isn't going to be the length of the flat sequence, or number of stacked sequence frames as far as LabVIEW is concerned.

What g-Ricky is suggesting is that if you already think you are going to need to use that many frames that you think LabVIEW could have a problem (which it won't), you are going to have huge problems with your architecture down the road.  Especially when someone comes in and says, "Hey, let's add this",  "Hey can we make it go back to frame 3 if the test in frame 6 comes out True."

Without knowing anything about what you are trying to do, I can safely say forget sequence structures.  You should be looking at a state machine architecture.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 12
(2,385 Views)

With respect to the error, fpsane errors refer to front panel drawing errors, so it sounds like something is corrupt with your VI. Perhaps a front panel control. Are you using any ActiveX or .NET controls? Go back to an earlier version (you ARE using source code control, right?) of the VI and see if the same thing happens. Make incremental changes to see when you start getting the error.

As suggested, it sounds like you have a poor architecture to start with. The state machine has been suggested. You should read this article: Application Design Patterns: State Machines

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 12
(2,379 Views)

Thanks, but...my sequence is linear, I think a state machine is not necessary...

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 12
(2,372 Views)

Thanks, but...my sequence is linear, I think a state machine is not necessary...

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 12
(2,371 Views)

@hex_cro wrote:

If I had a dime for every time I've heard that... Smiley Wink

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 12
(2,369 Views)

I hope you'll be very soon rich...

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 12
(2,367 Views)