From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Google Drive can't sync some standalone LabVIEW apps

I am facing the following issue:

I am synching a folder where I store my LV development and released code to Google Drive.

Some of the files consistently fail to synch.

I looked into the list.

At first, the list was short: a single executable (a LV standalone app I had created using the LV 2013 64 bit PDS). That did not bother me too much, as it was an older version.

Then the list started to grow as the number of releases increased:

Screen Shot 2015-03-02 at 10.14.09.png

The list includes subVIs of the main VI, and show up perfectly legibly in the following manner:

Screen Shot 2015-03-02 at 10.15.32.png

Notice the "1abvi3w" subfolder under the executable.exe "folder".

Nice trick NI! Changing the former "LabVIEW" folder of the zip archive that LV executables really are, into a "1abvi3w" one was a clever obfuscation move. However, it annoys the heck out of me because it generates hundreds of virtual unsynchable files and at this stage I am not sure whether I should contact Google to understand why that prevents synching, or as I am doing, throw it to the LabVIEW crowd for feedback...

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(2,961 Views)

This looks like on a mac. I don't think it should treat a LabVIEW executable as a folder hierachy, but it seems that's what's happening.

Are you building on a PC and then syncing to a mac? Or is everything Mac?

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(2,946 Views)

The leetspeak is not for obfuscation, but to provide a unique logical location inside the EXE for the logical LV folders. A bit of a hack, I would say, but I guess it works. It wasn't a change of "...the former "LabVIEW" folder of the zip archive that LV executables really are" because before that the EXEs were simply a flat LLB, so there was no "LabVIEW" folder.

The EXE itself is a zipped folder and I guess your sync picks up on that and tries to treat the zipped folder as a regular folder, but fails to do so because it's actually a single file and it doesn't have real access to all the files inside it. I don't know what you can do about that, since I don't sync with Google Drive. I do occasionally upload EXEs there, but it treats those as simple file when I do.

(2,939 Views)

To clarify: I am using a Mac but develop in a Windows virtual machine. Synching is done on the Mac side.

Thanks for correcting me on the former archive format.

It is probably worth checking with Google whether they try to sync individual files in zip archives. I would expect that synching of the file itself would not be an issue then, but it appears to be.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(2,922 Views)