LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Global variable no showing in NI Distribution System Manager

Hello,

I have a global variable on a PC running Windows 7 with Labview 10. On a Windows 8 machine running Labview 12 I cannot access the global variable. When I use NI Distributed System Manager On Window 8 machine, under network items  I can display the networked machine (windows 7) and the library that contains the global variable. However there are no variables listed. When using the variable binding option within the VI, the browse option lists the network machine and the library, but the library shows "No Items". I have a VI on the Windows 7 machine that has the global variable that can be seen and used by other VI's on the same machine. There is an article (http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/websearch/0D7B86F4B4D19A5E86256F9A006EECB1?Open) that explains what to do on Windows XP, Vista and 7; but no mention of Windows 8 - in fact some of the applications listed in the article are not found in windows directories. Is there a permission issue, a compatibility issue between versions of labview or Windows. A firewall issue? Or something else I am missing. 

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Charles

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(2,575 Views)

Are you confusing Global Variables with Shared Variables?  Globals are local to a machine, Shared can work across a Network, and are managed by the Distributed System Manager.

BS

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(2,570 Views)

Hi Bob,

Indeed I meant shared variables. Overninght the windows 7 machine was rebooted by Windows updates and magically both Ni Distributed System Manager and Variable binding display the object on the Windows 8 machine. The connection is working and the data is being displayed on both machines. Problem solved.

Thanks,

CharlesQ

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(2,539 Views)