LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Git hub or tortoise git for our labview?

Hello, every guys

I'm new here. I'd like to use some version control for mange labivew code with my team.

Could you please suggest me Git hub or tortoise git for our labview?

And could you suggest me about installing them?

Thanks for your attention

waa

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(5,023 Views)

Intersting question!  Because of your post, I've learned that a user group for git hub + LabVIEW resides here.  Maybe you can get a feel for it from there.  🙂

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 8
(5,000 Views)

Although I try to sign up, I can't download load this link.

1. Download and install Git client fromhttps://confluence.atlassian.com/display/BITBUCKET/Set+up+Git+and+Mercurial

please suggest me

Thanks for your kindness

waa

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(4,984 Views)

I use Tortoise at work and it works well. It's mostly a personal preference, they should be very similar in style and functions.

/Y

G# - Award winning reference based OOP for LV, for free! - Qestit VIPM GitHub

Qestit Systems
Certified-LabVIEW-Developer
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8
(4,890 Views)

I also use TortoiseSVN.  There are several tools (that I don't use) on the LabVIEW Tools Network to integrate TSVN with LabVIEW.

I have heard some of the TSVN vs Git arguments, but as I am pretty much a one-person "shop", and am very familiar with TSVN, I plan to stick with it for now.  Still, if you are doing serious LabVIEW development, you really do need what Fabiola called a "Time Machine" to help you manage your code!  Go "Git" it (pun intended).

Bob Schor

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(4,860 Views)

I have used both SVN (at work) and Git/Hg (at home) for LabVIEW development. Tortoise make GUI tools for both SVN, Mercurial (Hg) and Git which basically wraps the commands for each into right-click menus you can use from explorer.

I use the TSVN toolkit at work but only so it shows the icons in my LabVIEW project, I always do all of my commits/checkouts from file explorer. I have been looking at automating some of the operations our team does but it would be similar for any source control once you've figured out the commands.

The most important thing is picking which source control 'engine' you want to use...e.g. Subversion/Git - they both essentially do the same job (backup/history of code) but in a different way. Personally going forward I would prefer to use Hg/Git as it's a distributed source control which means that when you check-out the code, you check-out the entire history and you can make local 'commits' before pushing all of those changes to the server. This means if you're working remotely you can easily try/roll-back changes without a connection to the server - maintaining the change history while you do it.

We mostly work on projects in isolation, but if you're working in a team then there may be other things to consider (especially considering you can't really 'automerge' VIs).

LabVIEW Champion, CLA, CLED, CTD
(blog)
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(4,835 Views)

@wasin2015 wrote:

Hello, every guys

I'm new here. I'd like to use some version control for mange labivew code with my team.

waa

Git hub and tortoise git are two separate things. The former is the server which hosts a repository, the latter is a client side application to allow you to do "git" things from a gui. I recommend SourceTree by Atlassian. By far the best client side GUI I have come across. 

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(4,818 Views)

@GregFreeman wrote:

@wasin2015 wrote:

Hello, every guys

waa

Git hub and tortoise git are two separate things. The former is the server which hosts a repository, the latter is a client side application to allow you to do "git" things from a gui. I recommend SourceTree by Atlassian. By far the best client side GUI I have come across. 

I led everyone down the dark path by originally mis-reading it as "git hub" and "Tortoise SVN."

Sorry!

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(4,793 Views)