LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gibbs phenomenon issue in square wave from labview builtin function generator

Solved!
Go to solution

I am not able to look it up right now, but I have been thru this exact problem before.

Instead I can give some general info as to what is causing it. When you have a gentle roll-off of 6-12dB/oct you will see either a nice square wave or a rounded leading edge square wave depending on square wave Freq and the filter Freq. But if you ever "knock out" completely a frequency component (or several) you will get the results your are seeing.

Pick out a filter an octave below your brickwall filter for a start. You will have to trade slope accuarcy for flat top accuracy.

Barry / GRAE LLC / LLNL

PS: I should have said a low-pass filter in LabView.

barry

0 Kudos
Message 21 of 29
(1,458 Views)

Sorry about the typos in my previous post. but I have tried many filter so far but nothing has worked yet.

0 Kudos
Message 22 of 29
(1,423 Views)

I am kinda lost when you mentioned ocatve, please clarify because im not dealing with sound or vibration. I just applied a bessel low pass filter with a 5th order though the ripples on the edges are still there but they have been reduced

0 Kudos
Message 23 of 29
(1,413 Views)

An Octave is a factor of 2 in frequency.

BS

0 Kudos
Message 24 of 29
(1,398 Views)
I came to find out that the problem is not in the signal at all. I connect the signal coming from the NI 9263 to a scope. And there's no ringing at all. Everything come out perfect. But it's still showing at the acquiring end at the NI 9239. I tried using capacitors across the signal lines (wires) but that didn't make a difference. I tried using a 10k resistor at the + and - wires of the signal at the input of NI 9239, still nothing.
0 Kudos
Message 25 of 29
(1,382 Views)

There is filtering in the 9239, I recommend you read the "Understanding NI 9229/9239 Filtering" section of the user manual. I would try to increase the sampling rate (that correspond to the Data Rate in the following picture, also look at the Understanding Data Rates section of the manual) to include more of the signal impair harmonics (the frequency components) in the passband.

9239 filtering.png

Ben64

0 Kudos
Message 26 of 29
(1,363 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author ritch_by_nature

I don't know details about your cDAQ device, but the "pre-ringing" characteristic of the acquired signal is something I've known to be aware of with DSA (dynamic signal acquisition) devices.   That's the key characteristic barry was referring to also.  Here's a knowledgebase article about it.   Perhaps your cDAQ device has a similar internal bandwith-limiting digital filter?

-Kevin P

CAUTION! New LabVIEW adopters -- it's too late for me, but you *can* save yourself. The new subscription policy for LabVIEW puts NI's hand in your wallet for the rest of your working life. Are you sure you're *that* dedicated to LabVIEW? (Summary of my reasons in this post, part of a voluminous thread of mostly complaints starting here).
Message 27 of 29
(1,357 Views)

Son-of-a-gun, it really is a Gibbs phenomenon!  I didn't know this "hidden gotcha" about Sigma-Delta devices (I've mostly dealt with "ordinary" A/D, D/A, and DIO stuff).

BS

0 Kudos
Message 28 of 29
(1,329 Views)

Ritch,

I recommend tagging Kevin's response as the "solution", as it contains a reference to a very cogent explanation that a number of us ("experts"?) missed.

Bob Schor

0 Kudos
Message 29 of 29
(1,325 Views)