LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Getting absolute time on a 9144 ethercat chassis in labview fpga

Solved!
Go to solution

I am trying to test the timing and synchronization of a distributed system consisting of a NI-cRIO-9082 and two NI 9144 ethercat chassis.  Is there some way to access the system absolute time on the 9144 from within the FPGA?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(2,797 Views)

dwcarr,

I'm not aware of any built-in way to get a timestamp on the 9144 FPGA. Is there any particular reason you need the absolute, rather than relative time? You could try to pass the system time from the RT controller using user defined variables. You would have to make a custom implementation, however. If you need a VERY precise system time, you could also use the 9467 GPS timing module. That will be able to give you the absolute time on your FPGA. It may be overkill, however, depending on your system. 

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(2,768 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author dwcarr

Thanks for the response.  Actually, I just figured this out a few moments ago.  It is possible to add a timestamp to a user defined variable by selecting "Enable Timestamping" on the user defined variable properties dialog box.  This timestamp does what I want, as it uses the absolute time of the 9144 (which is synchronized to the master clock), and this time can be read back on the Host/Master.

At least I think it does what I want.  I am in the process of coding and testing right now.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(2,765 Views)