LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Getting NI MAX (Measurement Automation Explorer) to work through NAT

All,

I've been having no end of grief trying to connect NI MAX to my remote cDAQ 9134 (Linux RT) through a cellular gateway (firewall/NAT). I currently have all the ports I think are even slightly MAX related forwarded to the IP of the cDAQ. The IP address assigned to the cellular gateway is part of my corporate network, i.e. this is not a remote private IP but instead an IP on my WAN. 

Currently the following ports are forwarded:

• 20-22

The web UI function works across this arrangement, as does SSH - but not MAX.

NI MAX will find the device at first, but then it transitions from connecting to a red-X icon... but not before discovering the serial number and a few other parameters (not all).

I need this to work so I can remotely deploy new software modules to the cDAQ 9134.

Has anyone accomplished something similar in the past? Am I possibly missing a port?

Thanks and Regards,
Jeff

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(2,714 Views)

Hello Jeff,

As long as you have unblocked all of the ports pertaining to NI MAX in this White Paper:

http://www.ni.com/white-paper/12402/en/

you shouldn't have missed anything. Is there any way to connect it locally, or does it have to be over the network?

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(2,672 Views)

It needs to be over the network.

As you can see from my listed ports, all ports pertaining to NI MAX (and many that aren't explicilty stated) are forwarded.

Ultimately I believe that the issue is that NI MAX is incapable of working with a high-latency (<1,000ms) network. After spending a lot of time with it and NI support it clearly was never designed to traverse a network and really is a LAN-based tool. Just a word of caution to other users.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(2,566 Views)

Hello, have you managed to use NIMAX through NAT? I am experiencing the same issue and I haven't found a workaround. 

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(962 Views)