From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Get screencapture over GPIB Yokogawa DL1540

Hi all,

I am attempting to get a screenshot over GPIB for a dinosaur Yokogawa DL1540 oscilloscope. I can read the image in a specific format (TIFF or BMP) the file is corrupted/invalid when opened with an image viewer. Here is my block diagram and applicable information. Basically I visa read until a timeout occurs an then quit the while loop. It # of read bytes doesn't effect the image being valid/invalid.

Any ideas why the image is invalid? A sample image is located here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B2GLtRsUI-2bQnV6ZGpabEVieGs/edit?usp=sharing

Here is a copy of the programming manual: http://labit501.upct.es/~fburrull/docencia/FundamentosTelematica/OsciloscopioDL1520/IM701530-11E_010...

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 12
(4,604 Views)

Hi,

Did you check if the firmware of the DL1540 is 1.10 or above? The link below explains that the firmware above 1.1 supports transfer of image over GPIB.

http://tmi.yokogawa.com/us/service-support/faqs/can-the-screen-image-data-on-the-dl1540-be-transferr...

Also, I found a library of functions for DL1540 on idnet. Check it out and see if any of the function can be of assistance.

http://sine.ni.com/apps/utf8/niid_web_display.model_page?p_model_id=1556

Regards,

Alan

Applications Engineer | National Instruments
Singapore (65) 6226 5886 | Malaysia (60) 3 7948 2000 | Thailand (66) 2 298 4800
Philippines (63) 2 659 1722 | Vietnam (84) 28 3911 3150 | Indonesia (62) 21 2783 2355
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 12
(4,567 Views)

Yes, I previously ensured that I had 1.10 or greater; I have 1.40.

As for the link to the library of functions: there are none on that page. I have a library called YKDL15XX which has a lot of functions but not one for the IMAGe command (transferring over GPIB).

But like I said, I can receive ~34KB of data from the device when issuing this command in the block diagram above but the image file is most likely corrupt which means two possible things:

1) My program incorrectly writes the data to the image file, making it corrupt

2) The device inaccurately reports the data

It's probably 2)

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 12
(4,543 Views)

Hi,

I looked through the user manual of the scope. I found that the screen image can be saved either on a floppy or hard disk. For starters, let's try to make sure that the image was indeed saved in the specified format correctly.

User manual: http://labit501.upct.es/~fburrull/docencia/FundamentosTelematica/OsciloscopioDL1520/IM701530-01E_020...

So I would advice you to try saving the image to a floopy disk first using either TIFF or BMP format and see if the image can be opened using image viewer on your PC (I hope you have a floppy disk drive on your PC). This is to ensure that the scope is indeed saving images correctly.

Then we can move on to saving the image on the internal hdd and transfer it to PC via GPIB. We would probably need to engage the Yokogawa guys on this. From the GPIB command list that you shared, I am not sure if the IMAGE command set is indeed the correct set of commands to send image from scope to PC.

My apologies if my thoughts are of not much help at this moment. Looking forward to your next reply.

PS: You probably already know how to do this, but just in case; refer to the user manual on steps to save image data on the internal hard disk (chapter 13) .

Regards,

Alan    

Applications Engineer | National Instruments
Singapore (65) 6226 5886 | Malaysia (60) 3 7948 2000 | Thailand (66) 2 298 4800
Philippines (63) 2 659 1722 | Vietnam (84) 28 3911 3150 | Indonesia (62) 21 2783 2355
Message 4 of 12
(4,525 Views)

Hi,

Did you tried the drivers from Yokogawa ? I used the 'Getting Started' VI with a DL1520. I can read the data (image) from the DL.

Kees

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 12
(4,518 Views)

That is a waveform not a screen capture. I want the picture! 🙂

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 12
(4,498 Views)
Try using the result of the first read to determine the number of bytes and use the result of the second read for a single read and not a loop. Then try writing to a binary file.
Message 7 of 12
(4,484 Views)

Ok, some new information.

I have obtained a floppy disk and successfully wrote a BMP file that is valid and viewable. Then I opened it with a text editor (Notepad++) and the beginning of the file looks like this:

BM>^

Then I open the file that was copied over GPIB and it looks like this:

(null)(null)^>M>^

So that got me thinking and I deleted everything before the M and replaced it with a B, like in the file copied to the floppy disk. And it is then a valid BMP file! So how to fix this programatically? You tell me.

The VISA read seems to skip a byte after the "block data" is read. In this case it is the letter B (I assume BM stands for BitMap).

Then the binary write puts (null)(null)^> before the letter M and the write to text file will make the image mixed up but does not include the extra (null)(null)^>

bd1.JPG

Reading 6 bytes you can see the letter B is missing from "data".

fp1.JPG

Reading 7 bytes you can see the letter B in "header bytes" indicator.

fp2.JPG

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 12
(4,404 Views)

Thanks everybody for all you help. I have a working block diagram now. The issue was that the binary write was prepending size information to the string before writing. Setting this value false fixes the 4 extra bytes issue

Help file:

pic.JPG

Final block diagram

bd3.JPG

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 12
(4,366 Views)

Hi All,

I recently aquired a DL1540CL as well as an Agilent 82375B USB to GPIB dongle.

I have saved a TIFF on the DL1540CL's internal HDD and wish to retrieve it from the scope using the Dongle and Yokogawa's DL-Gates software.  The scope is at version 2.12 firmware.  I have read the user's manual for the Scope, the GPIB Dongle and the Communications interface for DL1540CL manual.  I'm not interested in using labView.

Anyone thoughts or ideas?  The scope has GPIB and SCSI on the back, no USB ports.  It also has a 3.5" floppy in the front.  My PC is a no-floppy but tons of UBS ports windows 8.1 box.

Any help is appreciated.

Thank you,

Mike

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 12
(4,180 Views)