LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Get ID Apple Event doesn't work in LabV 8, why?

All right, I work for the Pegasus Project at University Wisconsin Madison. We are a small aspect ratio torus, which uses labVIEW to control the beast. We have two set up system parts using LabVIEW, the control code. Which works just fine using LabVIEW 8 in OS 10.4, the problem is with our DAS (Data Acquisitions System), which takes all the hardware data and throws it over to Igor to be viewed. Thus far it has been a 12 years giant that no one wants to tackle. The DAS runs on OS 9 right now using LabVIEW 6. I have been put to the task of updating the system to work on OS 10.4. I have used LabVIEW 7 to run the code on OS X, which works just fine. But when trying to run the code with LabVIEW 8, I get a fatal internal error: "memory.ccp" , line 352. This error stems from the Apple Events Protocol, Get target ID.vi. I have pinpointed where in the VI the error stems from, and to me the error seems to come from where it calls the "GetProcessInformation" carbon code. I do not know how to remedy the problem, so I am at a wall right now. We use the Get target ID.vi to find the Igor pro ID and then send that ID to the AEsend Do Script.vi. Which runs a preprogrammed Igor command. Any information to remedy this problem would rock.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 9
(2,839 Views)

With any LabVIEW crash, you are presented with an option to investigate the error log file. Once you choose the option to Investigate now or Investigate later, an email is sent to the technical support group at National Instruments with the error as attachment.  You also have the option to include any additional attachments or comments with the email.

I would suggest that next time LabVIEW crashes with the .cpp error, you send us the error log along with the instructions to reproduce the error(if possible) so we may investigate the issue further.

Regards,

Ankita

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 9
(2,830 Views)
The thing is that it does not ask to inestigate the error, and I have checked the prefrences on that and it is not dissabled. It just kicks down and then when I restart it back up it just starts right up.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 9
(2,825 Views)

In that case, please see if you can reproduce the problem on a smaller scale (without the need of any hardware and post your VI on the forum.

Ankita

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 9
(2,811 Views)
I took the AE Get Target ID.vi in LV 7.1.1 and created a simple wrapper VI around it. It runs in LV 7.1.1. I saved that and opened it in LV8. It crashed LV after a few seconds. The Apple crash report dialog popped up, so I saved it. I do not know much about the internals of OS X, so I will leave it to the experts to attempt to decode this.

I am running OS X 10.4.5 on a Dual 2.3 GHz G5 with 1 GB of RAM.

Hope this helps.

Lynn
Download All
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 9
(2,804 Views)
That is the exact problem I am getting. Thanks for helping out.

~~Jonathan~~
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 9
(2,797 Views)

Hi,

I  have reported this to R&D (# 3UQEDKG8) for further investigation. Thanks for the feedback !

Regards,

Ankita

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 9
(2,771 Views)
Do any of the NI Engineering folk (or a kindly LabView 8.20 user on OSX) know if this issue has been resolved in the LabView 8.20 release? I am responsible for maintenence of these sets of control/DAQ utilities and would greatly like to standardize our group's deployment of LabView based on LV 8.
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 9
(2,635 Views)
Hi Kravlor,

I checked out the CAR ID listed above, and this issue was fixed in LV 8.2.  To double check, I opened the VI attached in Lynn's post on my iBook (G4 running Tiger and LV 8.2) and it worked without crashing.

Cheers,
Spex
National Instruments

To the pessimist, the glass is half empty; to the optimist, the glass is half full; to the engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be has a 2x safety factor...
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 9
(2,619 Views)