From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Generate a complete LLB source distribution in 8.6 impossible?

Solved!
Go to solution

I'm trying to accomplish what used to be easily done in v7.1.1 & earlier as "Save application distribution" with no password change (i.e., keep diagrams and all vi & user library files) to an LLB.

When I try to do this in 8.6, it's finding and redirecting some report vi's away from the LLB and instead into folders because of file name collisions of its own making.

How can the collisions be made to "go away" and all files saved into an LLB?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(2,824 Views)

Hey Warren...

Your image did not come through.  So I can't see what you're referring to.

-Matt Bradley

************ kudos always appreciated, but only when deserved **************************

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(2,818 Views)
Solution
Accepted by WNM

Hi, Warren,

Its known trouble with new object-oriented Report Generation Toolkit.

We have discuss it here a little bit:

http://forums.ni.com/ni/board/message?board.id=170&thread.id=366376

Andrey.

Message 3 of 6
(2,801 Views)

Hi Andrey,

Thanks for the pointer to the other thread. That explains it.

Once again NI's desire to solve their own problems at the expense of their customers is a disappointment to me. I've seen little reason to use 8.6 or even install 8.6.1 (whose unopened envelope remains in a pile on the floor here) when 7.1.1 continues to meet our needs in a much more reliable/satisfactory manner. This business about "stick with us and maybe we'll fix it in a future release" is nothing more than a thinly veiled attempt to string the customer base along and keep the software maintenance fees rolling in. Yet, when problem X finally does get fixed, you can bet that problems Y & Z will have been freshly added to start the cycle of frustration all over again.

At some point you decide that enough is enough and you just have to walk away. I think I've about reached that point.

Message 4 of 6
(2,790 Views)

Warren Massey wrote:

Once again NI's desire to solve their own problems at the expense of their customers is a disappointment to me.

I'm not sure what you mean by this.

NI introduced new features in 8.x which are useful to many users.

Specifically, they introduced LVOOP.

One of the corner stones of LVOOP is having VIs with the same names in inherited classes.

NI found out that this causes a problem with executables - an EXE is basically an LLB and you can't have two VIs with the same name in an LLB.

Thus, NI created a temporary workaround, which is ugly, but gets the job done.

In 8.6, NI decided to eat their own dog food and converted the RGT VIs to LVOOP, resulting in what you saw.

Once they encountered this, NI had two options:

1. Do not ship the feature until this issue is resolved.

2. Ship it with the workaround and work on fixing this in a later version (or not).

If NI selected 1 with every feature, you'd probably never see any new features, ever. At least not features worth anything. So they chose 2. In this specific case, there were vocal people inside NI who wanted this issue dealt with, so I can say that they have been working on it and the solution might be near.

Of course, as you said, when the solution comes there will be new problems. That's the price of software development. If you don't like it, you can stick to 7.1.1 which is perfect and doesn't have any bugs or new features. Personally, I found many things in 8.6 to be better than in 7.x.

(2,779 Views)
I'd add more, but I'm still using internet explorer 1.0.  It works great, but I can't do anything.
-Matt Bradley

************ kudos always appreciated, but only when deserved **************************

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(2,760 Views)