LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Generate Pulse with Rise Time <10usec

Hello all!

I am trying to trigger a camera and according to the camera manufacturer I must use a 10 to 30Volts signal with a rise/fall time less than 10usec. I am able of generating a digital output of around 5 Volts ( using my USB-6212 or my PCI-6251 line out) but the rise fall time is something less than 100usec and I cannot find a way of reducing that figure. So, 2 problems there:

-  Cannot reduce rise/fall time less than 10usec

- Voltage magnitude less than 10 Volts. ( I am reserving a hope that a 5V pulse might do the work coz the manual accepts as high state a signal >3Volts, don't know why the manufacturer customer service said 10 to 30V, but nevertheless, suggestions welcome of how to solve this one too! Smiley Happy)

I thank you in advance!!

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(2,603 Views)

Hi,

on your PCI 6251, you have 2 counters. You can use these counters to generate a TTL signal with  verry quick rise//fall time.

In MAX, create a task, generate signals, counters output... etc.

Output of your signal is PFI13 on your board. pulse output.

Hope it will solve your problem.

Best regards,

V-F
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(2,586 Views)

Hi there, 

Thanks for the reply. I 've never used counters but I will give it a shot. I was thinking since I posted my question that the only way I can generate a pulse signal which can reach 10V is by utlizing the analog outputs of my daq board. I managed to build the signal by combining 2 DC singals, one with a 10V offset and one at zero. I saved this waveshape and I took a more detailed look and the rise time is once again something less than 100usec and not less than 10us as the manufacturer requires. 

What do you think about such an approach?

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(2,575 Views)

You probably cannot get both the amplitude and the rise time you need from any standard DAQ device.  I recommend that you use a counter or a hardware timed digital output to generate a pulse with the correct timing and build an external amplifier to boost the signal to the desired 10-30 V level.

Lynn

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(2,572 Views)

@johnsold wrote:

You probably cannot get both the amplitude and the rise time you need from any standard DAQ device.  I recommend that you use a counter or a hardware timed digital output to generate a pulse with the correct timing and build an external amplifier to boost the signal to the desired 10-30 V level.

Lynn

Well, I was really hoping I could avoid that. Is there any chance you have any NI Example in mind that I could use as a guideline? Never worked with counters. I would like to generate a single pulse whenever I press a button on my front panel.

Thank you very much

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(2,568 Views)