From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

General question about programming

Amen!
Jim
You're entirely bonkers. But I'll tell you a secret. All the best people are. ~ Alice
For he does not know what will happen; So who can tell him when it will occur? Eccl. 8:7

0 Kudos
Message 11 of 12
(313 Views)

Ben wrote:
 I hear Ray trying to do exactly that. Teach someone so well that they don't need us any more.

Thanks Ben,  You heard correctly.. 

Suggesting solutions is simple.  Advising people on what they do wrong and what caveats they should avoid is also important.

To those of you who understand what to avoid, I agree, shouting is not necessary... 

I did it on purpose...  In the hope that whoever needs to hear it, knida gets the idea that it's worth listening... 😉

As for earning a living..  Oh yes..  it does.  I am actually bidding on a contract to re-write an entire project because it was programmed using Stacked Sequences & Locals..  Shame really..  At least this one is a re-write.  Often customer ask that the original architecture code remains intact...  Which turns out to be a roadblock...  I now start to refuse doing those..  I've seen enough horror... thus the screaming..  (plus we're close to holloween).

Back to serious.  Re-initializing indicators in the middle of a program is a tricky thing to do..  What are you indicating if it is not the current value?  What is the real purpose of the indicator?  Is it for a status?  Is it to display a message, data, or some value?  

There are many questions to ask.  Many things to consider...  But none of the solution(s) need to point to a Stacked Structure..

R

Message Edited by JoeLabView on 10-17-2008 01:18 PM
0 Kudos
Message 12 of 12
(292 Views)