LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

General question about Vi consumption of CPU and RAM

Hi. I developed a complex application for performing  two dimensional FFT on image sequences.

In order to complete the VI my Windows 8.1, i7, 8GB Ram notebook takes several minutes due to high number of operations.

I supposed the whole resources of notebook are being used by Vi but when I checked performance of it unexpectedly I found that CPU load is about 10% and RAM consumption about 40%.

My question is: why Vi is not executed faster even if there are enough free resourced? Is there any way to increase Vi time execution maintaining the same Vi structure?

Thank you.

Yixiao uncle

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(2,644 Views)

@Yixiao-uncle wrote:

Hi. I developed a complex application for performing  two dimensional FFT on image sequences.

In order to complete the VI my Windows 8.1, i7, 8GB Ram notebook takes several minutes due to high number of operations.

I supposed the whole resources of notebook are being used by Vi but when I checked performance of it unexpectedly I found that CPU load is about 10% and RAM consumption about 40%.

My question is: why Vi is not executed faster even if there are enough free resourced? Is there any way to increase Vi time execution maintaining the same Vi structure?

Thank you.

Yixiao uncle

This questions can be answered only by seeing the VI. Its waste of time if you post your questions in this manner.  Without knowing what you have coded how can someone give a solution to your question.

If the resources are not used properly then the time taken by vi to complete is generally high this is due to improper programming. Hope you understand.

Certified-LabVIEW-Associate-Dev_rgb (2).jpg

Certified LabVIEW Developer
Best LabVIEW Programmer @NIDAYS 2015
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(2,638 Views)

Hi SanthoshLoel ant thank you for your replay.

Of course I understand your point of view and I dont have any problem to attach my Vi but it is still in debug phase, full of indicators to show me if calculations are proceeding properly. Anyway the title of my question is "General question about  Vi ..." so I was searching general rules for increasing Vi execution regardless the quality of developped Vi.

Thank to google I found very helpfull Ni note and I want to share with people of Forum:

http://www.ni.com/newsletter/51020/en/.

It is about the parallel programming for FOR LOOP. By using this technique I reduced execution time of my Vi of 20% (19.8%)

Thank you

Yixiao uncle

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(2,582 Views)

@Yixiao-uncle wrote:

so I was searching general rules for increasing Vi execution regardless the quality of developped Vi.

Glad you found something that might help, but no magic bullet exists to make bad code good, you just need to know where improvements can be made, and what techniques in refactoring yield what kind of results.  The best way to learn is to post your code and get advice on how it can be improved.  There are likely many techniques you are unfamiliar with which could benefit you much more than just using more cores on your PC.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(2,564 Views)