LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

General Inquiry Regarding Error Handling with System Exec.vi

I have a sub vi that uses the System Exec.vi to send SMS messages when triggered. I am confused as to how the error handling works and why all of the errors seem to go to the "standard error" vs the "Error out". The reason I am interested is because I am trying to interrupt the error out of another script to execute a command if error=true. I have intentionally created an error to test this, however it does not seem that the signal is ever being sent to the error out, only to the standard error. Any help/explanation as to how this works would be greatly appreciated.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(2,548 Views)
Also, does anyone know how to attach files using the facebook discussion board? I would love to attach my .vi, however can't seem to figure out how..
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(2,547 Views)

The Facebook discussion board is just a pilot and that functionality is not available yet (as to my knowledge). You will have to use the actual forum thread to add attachments. You can click the arrow just to the right of thread topic in the Facebook thread and that will take you to the ni.com/forums thread. Or you can navigate here:

http://forums.ni.com/t5/LabVIEW/General-Inquiry-Regarding-Error-Handling-with-System-Exec-vi/m-p/246...

Having a look at your VI would help to clarify the error handling issue.

dK
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(2,507 Views)

Attached is the .vi I was working on -> couldn't edit my original question for some reason.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(2,495 Views)

Could you also include the SMS.vi file?

dK
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(2,489 Views)

Have you heard of LabPython?  It might help you avoid using System Exec.

Jim
You're entirely bonkers. But I'll tell you a secret. All the best people are. ~ Alice
For he does not know what will happen; So who can tell him when it will occur? Eccl. 8:7

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(2,483 Views)

The "standard error" output will return the errors from the program you calling, while the "error out" output will return errors that have occured in LabVIEW. There are 2 of these outputs in order to differentiate between errors occuring in the LabVIEW program and errors occuring in the program being called via the System Exec VI. So if you want to parse the information from the "standard error" output string to get the error out of the other script.

dK
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(2,474 Views)