From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GSW (Getting Started Window) broken

Solved!
Go to solution

I recently installed myRIO and then uninstalled it.  (Long story)

Now my Getting Started Window is broken: 

My recent projects don't show up in the list on the right.  What does show up doesn't open when I click.

Actually, no links accomplish anything: the only things that work now are the search window and the File/Operate/etc menu items.

I uninstalled and installed Labview thinking I had done more damage, but it didn't fix this. 

Any suggestions to reset this?

My version is 13.0f2 (32-bit)

Thanks!

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 11
(3,597 Views)

The first thing I would try is delete the LabVIEW.ini file.  That will clear out your lists and your settings, but it might get things back to working.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 11
(3,586 Views)

There are two "flavors" of LabVIEW (which NI called "environments").  When you install myRIO, GSW is set to the "LabVIEW for myRIO" environment.  To fix this, open LabVIEW, go to Tools, Environment, and choose "LabVIEW".  Close LabVIEW, reopen, and you should be fine.

Bob Schor

Message 3 of 11
(3,574 Views)

@Bob_Schor wrote:

There are two "flavors" of LabVIEW (which NI called "environments").  When you install myRIO, GSW is set to the "LabVIEW for myRIO" environment.  To fix this, open LabVIEW, go to Tools, Environment, and choose "LabVIEW".  Close LabVIEW, reopen, and you should be fine.

Bob Schor

The definitely explains it.

Unfortunately, I already uninstalled myRIO and no longer have the "Choose Environment" option.  Deleting Capture.ini didn't help.

Any idea where the setting for environment is?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 11
(3,558 Views)

The file that Crossrulz mentioned is LabVIEW.ini, a file that lives in the Installation Folder for LabVIEW 2013.  It contains a whole slew of parameters that control some of LabVIEW's options.  However, I just tested whether it contains the "Default Environment" setting (by changing my Environment and seeing if the .ini file changed) -- unfortunately, it doesn't, so deleting this file (and making LabVIEW regenerate it) is probably unlikely to help.

There are a number of places where this could be set -- I've looked in a few, but don't see anything that "jumps out" at me.  Have you tried placing a Service Request to NI?  This sounds like something that you may need "internal Experts".

BS

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 11
(3,519 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author Eric_MyNi

Try following the steps of this KB

http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/websearch/C6D26124854E6B3C86257CD7006C8F38?OpenDocument

There seems to be a CAR filed for this already and someone was kind enough to make a nice KB so hopefully this works for you.

Matt J | National Instruments | CLA
Message 6 of 11
(3,510 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author Eric_MyNi

Stupid me -- I forgot to look in LabVIEW Data.  Sure enough, there is a Preference.ini in the Modes folder inside the (in my case) 2014(32-bit) folder.  As I've set my preference back to 2014 (instead of myRIO), it's content is 

[LabVIEW]

LVMode = ""

When I change the environment to "LabVIEW for myRIO" (and make it the default), it becomes

[LabVIEW]
LVMode = "myrio"

Finally, if I edit the file and simply remove the "myrio" (but leave the quotation marks), it resets my LabVIEW environment to "normal".  Should be the correct fix!

BS

Message 7 of 11
(3,493 Views)

Thanks!  That did it.  I searched a lot but never found that KB article.

For me the file was here:

C:\Users\ME\Documents\LabVIEW Data\2013(32-bit)\modes.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 11
(3,451 Views)

I recently installed the myRIO toolkit for LV2013 and even though I'd done it before about a year ago I'd forgotten how to do it so thanks for reminding me! The annoyance (even though I fixed with a LabVIEW.ini change) was that by default the myRIO environment hides dependencies from the project and I couldn't see anything in Tools -> Options to turn it back on.

LabVIEW Champion, CLA, CLED, CTD
(blog)
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 11
(3,435 Views)

@Sam_Sharp wrote:

I recently installed the myRIO toolkit for LV2013 and even though I'd done it before about a year ago I'd forgotten how to do it so thanks for reminding me! The annoyance (even though I fixed with a LabVIEW.ini change) was that by default the myRIO environment hides dependencies from the project and I couldn't see anything in Tools -> Options to turn it back on.

What Labview.ini change did you make?   I didn't find anything there.

(And I was actually looking in Labview.ini, not Capture.ini.  That was just a typing mistake.)

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 11
(3,432 Views)