LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GPIB time out

Hi, When I try to control Newport ESP300 motion driver/controler with SR55CC rotary stage by NI GPIB controller,very often I meet with the time out error. If we ignore the error, ,after a while the control come back to life, we can control it already. Any one has similar experience with that or who can have good suggestion?
I'm using LABVIEW 5.1, for windows 98. I also attach my code. Anyone interested can go and take a look. Thank you!
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(4,381 Views)
Hello-

This is an insteresting issue. Would it be possible to get an NI-Spy capture of this program in action?

Randy Solomonson
Application Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(4,381 Views)
This is amazing! I'm browsing these posts and found someone having the same problem as I am with the ESP300. I'm at my wits end trying to figure out why the ESP300 gets these sporatic GPIB read/write errors. In my case, it gets an error about five times a day out of a gazillion successful read/writes.

Have you contacted Newport yet? I have spoke with them in the past and their tech support was no help. I currently set my GPIB timeout at 3000 ms to avoid the error taking too long to return control back to me. But, this is not a good workaround.

I see your post is from last month. Have you made any progress on your side?

Joe
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(4,381 Views)
This is amazing! I'm browsing these posts and found someone having the same problem as I am with the ESP300. I'm at my wits end trying to figure out why the ESP300 gets these sporatic GPIB read/write timeout errors. In my case, it gets a timeout error about five times a day out of a gazillion successful read/writes.

Have you contacted Newport yet? I have spoke with them in the past and their tech support was no help. I currently set my GPIB timeout at 3000 ms to avoid the error taking too long to return control back to me. But, this is not a good workaround.

I have tried the NISpy as suggested and caught an instance of where this timeout error happened. From the log I see no indication of anything that would have caused this other than the ESP300 didn't
respond when it should have.

I see your post is from last month. Have you made any progress on your side?

Joe
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(4,381 Views)
Update,

I called Newport on this issue. Surprisingly, they knew of this problem. They suggested downgrading from v3.05 firmware to v3.04. I have tried it for a few hours and so far no errors?

Joe
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(4,381 Views)
Hi,

I am also sometimes (every third move approx.) encountering timeout errors with labview and GPIB. So, where to get the 3.04 firmware? My ESP300 was shipped with 3.03 and on the website there is only 3.05 (can't get through to the hotline).
If you still have 3.04, could you mail it to me (bliesfel@umich.edu)? TIA!

--
Ben.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(4,382 Views)
Not sure how old is your ESP300 controller, you need to have the latest firmware, 3.09
Here is attached a MSWord document that will help with the GPIB setup.
There is no problem with hardware, the library might have a problem, if you call Newport Technical Support they could provide the Labview example that works fine.
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(4,011 Views)