From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GPIB VISA reading timeout

Hi all,

I am trying to control the solartron SI 1287 using GPIB-USB-HS. The thing is that I can write commands with visa write and it performs it but when I want to read something a timeout expired problem comes up.

Things I´ve done:

- When I use GPIB write and read there is no problem.

-When I put bytes at port or enable termination character I get the response but the timeout problem is still on.

Taking into account the manual the outputs finish with "cr fl", shouldn´t the visa read stops?

Thanks a lot

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(2,562 Views)

Do NOT use the Bytes At Port.  That fuction is specific for serial.  And even then, you shouldn't use it with instruments that use a termination character.

Do not use the Configure Serial Port either.  Use the actual VISA property nodes to set up your bus.  Make sure the termination character is set to a line feed (0xA) and enabled.  Then make sure your VISA Read is given enough bytes to read to get the entire message.  Also make sure your timeout is actually a decently long time (enough time for the instrument to respond and then plenty of buffer).  10 seconds should be the default.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(2,553 Views)
Bytes at Port is for serial communication. How are you setting the termination?
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(2,550 Views)

Finally I got the solution, I changed the output termination character of the device for being just cr and instead of using byte at a port I just fixed to have cr (13) and enable termination character and it works. 

Thanks

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(2,544 Views)