LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GPIB SPOLL Affects Reading Rate HP 3478A

Hello all, 

Disclaimer: I am relatively new to LabVIEW so it's very possible that there's something easy and obvious that I am missing. That said, I thank you in advance for your help. 

I am writing a data acquisition program for an experimental setup featuring multiple instruments from which I need to record data asynchronously over a GPIB connection.

My plan, I thought, was pretty straightforward: I wish to use the GPIB I/O functions to wait for an instrument to interrupt the controller, serial poll to find out which instrument has data ready, read, then repeat. 

For the moment, I am testing my program with  an HP 3478A DMM. 

My problem is this: I noticed using NI I/O Trace that my program gets hung up for more than ten seconds whenever it needs to read an instrument output. However, I know I have read from this instrument at far greater speeds. I built a quick test VI, and noticed that if I simply read from the instrument without checking for SRQ or Data Ready then GPIB Read operates quickly (0.2 s/measurement). However, if I insert an SPOLL before the Read (not doing anything with it, just calling the function) then it hangs for around 17 seconds before continuing.

I have attached my simple test VI, an image of it, as well as screen-shots of the I/O Trace outputs for when the SPOLL is enabled vs disabled. 

Again, I am pretty new to LabVIEW; it may be that this is some simple error, or that it's something specific to the  3478A, or our GPIB set up.

Thank you again for your help!

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(2,817 Views)
A serial poll call should not take that long. As I recall this type of poll returns a bunch is status bits. It is not beyond the realm of possibility that there is a bug in the instrument.

Mike...

Certified Professional Instructor
Certified LabVIEW Architect
LabVIEW Champion

"... after all, He's not a tame lion..."

For help with grief and grieving.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(2,785 Views)

Hi Mike, 

Thanks for replying.

To clarify, the serial poll call itself executed in around 2 ms. In my actual program I use the status byte to determine whether an instrument has data ready.

It was the subsequent call to GPIB Read which took a long time depending on whether I serial polled before it.

I appreciate the suggestion though, I will check it again with a different instrument.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(2,776 Views)
Hmmm... Now that is even more bizarre. Remember that when you are considering whether or not you have an instrument problem, HP stands for "Highly Probable".

Mike...

Certified Professional Instructor
Certified LabVIEW Architect
LabVIEW Champion

"... after all, He's not a tame lion..."

For help with grief and grieving.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(2,773 Views)

Haha I'll keep that in mind. 

Strangely, the error seems to have fixed itself overnight. I cannot begin to guess what changed, but I suppose maybe it has something to do with our extended gpib system rather than the individual instrument. 

Thank you for your help!

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(2,739 Views)