LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GENser library/VI

I am very new to LabVIEW and this forum. So please let me know if I should post this question elsewhere. I inherited a bunch of LabVIEW programs from another guy and trying to understand how it works. I'm trying to open a LabVIEW VI with many sub VIs. From what I understand, there is a sub VI called GENser that is missing. When I try to load the VI, Labview keeps searching for GENser config, GENser initialize, GENser open, GENser close. As far as I could tell, this sub VI reads the voltage supply and passes it on. I tried to search for the VI on the computer and it did not show up. Are there any tips to figure out what this sub VI does? Is GENser a generic name for a type of VI?

P.S.: The guy who worked on this has moved on and no one else here knows LabVIEW!

Thanks

Asade

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 11
(4,975 Views)
You seem to know that it's related to a power supply so you should be looking for a driver for that. You haven't provided the make and model of the supply so I'm not going to guess what you need. Look at the instrument driver network - http://www.ni.com/downloads/instrument-drivers/ or check with the vendor of the supply.

The actual VI might be inside an llb or lvlib so a rudimentary search of a VI might not return anything. It is anything but generic. The first link explains what an instrument driver is.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 11
(4,966 Views)

Dennis is absolutely right that it is an instrument driver.  I have found an instrument driver on this page which I believe contains the subVIs you are talking about: http://sine.ni.com/apps/utf8/niid_web_display.download_page?p_id_guid=F9944941B4CF18E6E0340003BA230E...

Now you will still want to check if your instrument is compatible under that driver but I think TDK-Lambda possibly has the dirver set you are looking for.

Aaron L.
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 11
(4,928 Views)

Yup Lambda TDK power supply.  I love these VIs and power supplies by the way.  They seem to just work and have some neat features like being able to control multiple power supplies from a single COM port.  I think it supports up to 16.  The drivers always seemed responsive enough, and had several controls for over voltage and over current protection.

Also the ability to turn off the software control, and go manual from the front panel of the power supply was very useful for debug.  Of course you might want to lock that down for production.

Message 4 of 11
(4,921 Views)

Thank you everyone for your replies. I went ahead and installed the TDK_Lambda drivers as suggested. It seems they were the missing drivers! Now, I don't get a broken arrow on the top. However, when I let the program run it gives me an error code. Trying to debug it, I found that the Initialize,vi on the Lambda does not work and give out an error code. Digging further inside the initialize.vi, it seems 'VISA Open' gives out an error code. Using probes, I see that the error status going is in False and coming out of the Visa Open is true. I have connected the VISA resource name into and out of the VISA Open. Anything I should check for to fix this issue? Thanks much for your replies

Thanks

Asade

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 11
(4,899 Views)
Please provide the error code/message. Can't fix it if we don't know what it is. Be sure to select the VISA Resource from the pull-down menu.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 11
(4,890 Views)

Good for you on trying to troubleshoot.  Plenty of people would just reply saying it doesn't work.  I agree you likely have the wrong COM port, wrong settings, like baud or channel, or you don't have the right cable (null versus straight).  Hopefully your error can help you determine which it is.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 11
(4,884 Views)

I have attached the error code. Hopefully this would suffice. Please let me know if you need more info.

FWIW - I'm using Lambda GEN60-12.5 power supply and Labview 12.0

Thanks

Asade

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 11
(4,871 Views)

That error code is undefined, so I'm guessing this is an internal one that the drivers create.  Probably due to a connection not being made to the power supply.  Again check your settings and ports.

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 11
(4,861 Views)
Look at the block diagram to see what generates that error. Use the probe tool to see exactly when it occurs.
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 11
(4,849 Views)