cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Functional Global Variable in the CLAD sample Exam

Solved!
Go to solution

Hello,

A question in the CLAD sample exam #2 keeps puzzling me. It's question number 32 about FGVs:

32. Which is not an important part of creating a Functional Global Variable?
a. Using Shift Registers to store information
b. Changing the VI’s execution settings to Reentrant
c. Setting the VI to inline into calling VIs
d. Setting the While Loop to stop after one iteration

The answer given is the following

32.Correct Answer: B

Topic: Functional Global Variables

Justification: It is not necessary to inline functional global variables into their calling VIs. In fact, inlining requires that the subVI be reentrant, which is forbidden for functional global variables.

Clearly, for an FGV to work properly, the VI must NOT be reentrant. So I would have selected answer B, but the justification seems to clearly point to answer C as well, doesn't it? Is it a typo, a subtlety in the wording? I am stuck on this one!

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(3,417 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author MathieuPerrin

Well, inlining requires reentrant.  Therefore, the best answer should technically be C.  This looks like one of those rejected/retired questions since it isn't quite right and/or left up to too much interpretation.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
Message 2 of 4
(3,399 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author MathieuPerrin

It looks like, according to the justification, that the answer is C.  The justification is clearly talking about inlining and just so happens to mention why inlining is not possible.  Because a FGV cannot be reentrant.  I worked with a guy who worked on the NI CLAD questions and he told me this sort of thing happens too frequently.  The "Lower on the totem poll" people work the CLAD questions.  (hearsay) So, that sort of thing can be very discouraging when preparing for your test.  Even taking your test for that matter.  Because you cannot dispute questions you believe are correct like you can on a college exam.  Anyways, good luck!

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(3,381 Views)

Maybe it's the language barrier, but I think the wording "which is not important?" asking for something that's explicitely forbidden is very poor.

Message 4 of 4
(3,378 Views)