LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Front Panel Security Performance Issues

[LabVIEW 2010]

I have been trying to use Front Panel Security but have been running into performance issues with the dialog. The VI I have contains alot (100+) of controls as it is a config screen for alarm levels etc... and the dialog is so slow (I am running a new i7). 

This video demonstrates the usability of the screen, everything is slow, I can't update the security for all controls at once (it does about 10 thats it), closing is not responsive.  Then when I reopen the dialog (at end of video) it takes ages to initialise and then JING runs out (5 mins) before it does. Is this the same for everyone? The idea seems really neat, but I couldn't get it to work and had to implement my own code.

Cheers

-JG

Unable to display content. Adobe Flash is required.

Certified LabVIEW Architect * LabVIEW Champion
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(2,177 Views)

JG,

Thanks for the video, great idea.  I tried duplicating the issue, and got some interesting results.

I put 480 numeric controls on the front panel and loaded up Front Panel Security.  No problems loading - 3 seconds.  I highlighted all the controls and added (administrator) permissions to them.  This took slightly longer, but still less than 10 seconds. 

Now the interesting part was that these controls were not in a tab control; they were simply on the front panel.  I closed the VI and started a blank one with a tab control first.  I then started adding controls and observing the performance of Front Panel Security.  At one tab only with 170 controls, I did notice some lag, but it was still comparable to the 10 seconds from before.  It was only when I had 120 controls on two tabs (240 total) did I really start seeing performance decrease.  However, I could never duplicate what you showed in your video.

Perhaps 2010sp1 was the reason for the performance increase. Would it be possible for you to upgrade? I'm not sure what your computer specs are (mine are LV 2010sp1, 32-bit, Win 7, Intel Xeon 2.53GHz, 4GB ram), but that may certainly have something to do it.  When I went to close the last VI, I did manage to crash LV with the 240 controls in two tabs, but I don't believe it was related to the Front Panel Security.

Could you provide your code, or example code, that duplicates what you showed in your video? Thoughts on my tests?

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(2,142 Views)