From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Frequency measurement of a very short pulse

Hi I am using PXIe 6368 to measure Oscilliator Frequency. This signal is connected to PFI lines and I would like to use counters to measure frequency but the pulse width is too brief ( 12 ns ) . How can I determine if the hardware counter can even detect this short pulse for frequency measurement?

Thanks 

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(2,594 Views)

How does the signal look like exactly?

There seems to be no detailed specifications on the signal form in order to be counted correctly (rising/falling time, minimum time to stay at a level (H, L), overshots, ...).

As the internal clock of the device is 100MHz, the decive can handle signals with 5ns H/L time, at least internally. But as generation is limited to 25MHz, it is possible that it is limited to 20ns....

In reality, i would expect the device to be somewhere in between these two numbers if the signal is "perfect" TTL/CMOS signal.

Norbert

Norbert
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
CEO: What exactly is stopping us from doing this?
Expert: Geometry
Marketing Manager: Just ignore it.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(2,572 Views)

Hi,

There seems to be no detailed specifications on the signal form

The specs clearly state "TTL" - this includes signal form definitions. TTL describes more than just logic levels…

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(2,568 Views)

Gerd,

i am not aware that TTL specifies detailed timing information. The main reason: TTL was introduced as "standard" in 1961. In the mean time, all our semicondictors are way faster than back in that time. So if TTL would specify timing in detail, there would be the requirement for different versions of TTL (just like USB 2.0 vs. USB 3.0).

I don't know about TTL 2.0 (or higher), so i doubt timing specs to include hard numbers.

NI specified TTL signals for older controller chips (compare here) but i am not aware of any updated document for STC3 chips which are used for X-series devices.

Norbert

Norbert
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
CEO: What exactly is stopping us from doing this?
Expert: Geometry
Marketing Manager: Just ignore it.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(2,563 Views)

Hi Norbert,

NI explains all the needed details (including rise times) here.

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(2,544 Views)