LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Free Academic License

Solved!
Go to solution

I can't seem to find anything on it any more (which likely means I misunderstood them), but at NI Week it was mentioned that an Academic version of LabVIEW would be free for 6 months.  At the Academic Forum the nice lady in this video mentioned it with several slides.  Now I can't seem to find any information about it.

There was a seperate discussion talking about all the development software needed for the myRIO would come included with the hardware (FPGA/RT/Vision) so I know this is a seperate topic.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 11
(3,329 Views)

I believe what the Nice Lady said was that if you purchased a myRIO (which, as far as I know, is not yet available), and were a student, you'd get a six-month LabVIEW License with that.  Needless to say, what you do with the myRIO after the six months is up is another question!

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 11
(3,315 Views)

@Bob_Schor wrote:

I believe what the Nice Lady said was that if you purchased a myRIO (which, as far as I know, is not yet available), and were a student, you'd get a six-month LabVIEW License with that.  Needless to say, what you do with the myRIO after the six months is up is another question!

As I mentioned in my first post it was quite clear she was talking about two different things.  Right now if you purchase a myDAQ you get an Academic version of LabVIEW to develop in.  They stated the same would be true if you bought a myRIO.  You would get a license that didn't expire.  A man in the audience wanted clairification and asked what good was a license of LabVIEW that came with the myRIO which was only good for 6 months.  They made it clear, buy myRIO and get the tools needed to develop it which did not expire (I believe they branded this LabVIEW myRIO).

A seperate topic of discussion was how now the Academic version of LabVIEW would be free for 6 months, where now it is free for 7 days.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 11
(3,307 Views)

@Hooovahh wrote:
A seperate topic of discussion was how now the Academic version of LabVIEW would be free for 6 months, where now it is free for 7 days.

There is no diference betwen plain LabVIEW and academic LabVIEW, the activation code determines the flavor. If you don't activate, it is in evalution mode.

The evalation is initially 7 day only, but if you supply an e-mail address, it can easily be extended to 45 days.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 11
(3,282 Views)

@altenbach wrote:

There is no diference betwen plain LabVIEW and academic LabVIEW, the activation code determines the flavor.

I know this, which is why I assumed the announcement was for an activation code that lasted 6 months with the Academic water marks, and restrictions.  I assume you weren't at the Academic forum that day, but they showed it off at lunch, and then the session just after lunch talked about it in more detail.

I swear I didn't dream all this.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 11
(3,276 Views)

@Hooovahh wrote:
I know this, which is why I assumed the announcement was for an activation code that lasted 6 months with the Academic water marks, and restrictions.  I assume you weren't at the Academic forum that day, but they showed it off at lunch, and then the session just after lunch talked about it in more detail.

I swear I didn't dream all this.

Yes, I was there, but my memory is no longer what it never was. I thought it was tied to the purchase of myRIO.

(Just noticed that they will also come out with a board only version. :D)

There is also this discussion, but I think it relates to the use with LIFA. The link no longer works :(.

Message 6 of 11
(3,265 Views)

@altenbach wrote:

(Just noticed that they will also come out with a board only version. :D)

There is also this discussion, but I think it relates to the use with LIFA. The link no longer works :(.

I'm quite excited to get my hands on a myRIO (and not just for academic purposes).  I'll post in that thread but I think you are right about it being LIFA specific.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 11
(3,263 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author Hooovahh

Hi All,

This is the Nice Lady 🙂

I want to clarify what was conveyed at the Academic Forum as I know it has led to some confusion.

The 6 month license for students is independent of NI myRIO. It is aimed at students that are intersted in learning at home, and is not intended for courses held at universities. More information can be found here: ni.com/mooc

NI myRIO does ship with SW in evaluation mode for universities. If a student purchases myRIO, they will receive SW that can be activated and used indefinitely (without upgrades).

Hope this helps!

Margaret

Message 8 of 11
(3,197 Views)

One additional comment...NI myRIO is slated to ship later this Fall. To receive a notification when of when it is available, you can sign up by visiting ni.com/myRIO and clicking on "evaluate".

Thanks!

M

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 11
(3,190 Views)

@Meg_Barrett wrote:

One additional comment...NI myRIO is slated to ship later this Fall. To receive a notification when of when it is available, you can sign up by visiting ni.com/myRIO and clicking on "evaluate".

Thanks!

M

I'm very interested and can't wait.  Your link is a little incorrect, apparently NI's site is case sensitive and the link you meant to give was ni.com/myrio  Thanks again.

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 11
(3,137 Views)